E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I was re installing my Vanos system after changing out all the gaskets and the worst thing possible could have happened. I grabbed the wrong sized torx head for the reverse threaded bolts and stripped my bolt. in an effort to get it out I used a drill and a larger torx bolt, (yes I know im an idiot) and I think I cut a bit of metal out from underneath the bolt? its in-between the bolt and the rubber piece that slides in, im not exactly sure if it will still be in-between when I put the rubber back in (its my first time) and im wondering if this will impact my Vanos in anyway or if I got extremely lucky and its outside of where the oil flows. also if any of you guys have fix recommendations that don't involve buying a new one that would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys.
Liquid Fluid Automotive tire Water Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
I think I cut a bit of metal out from underneath the bolt? its in-between the bolt and the rubber piece that slides in,
The bolt is to hold the piston to the spline hub, so there should be no rubber piece under the bolt. There is a brown plastic cap above the bolt but it sure was removed when you torqued the bolt. So I have no idea what rubber piece you're talking. You stripped it while tightening or loosening?

·
Registered
2005 330ci
173 Posts
Did you get the screw out or is it as is in the picture? It’s not torqued down by much, so I would think you could use an EZ out to get it removed. You may need to find the right size or even grind one down to fit, because the screw head is so shallow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bolt is to hold the piston to the spline hub, so there should be no rubber piece under the bolt. There is a brown plastic cap above the bolt but it sure was removed when you torqued the bolt. So I have no idea what rubber piece you're talking. You stripped it while tightening or loosening?
sorry I was talking about the plastic piece you said, will the metal I removed under the bolt effect my Vanos?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you get the screw out or is it as is in the picture? It’s not torqued down by much, so I would think you could use an EZ out to get it removed. You may need to find the right size or even grind one down to fit, because the screw head is so shallow.
no its still in there, while trying to remove it I dug into the metal underneath the bolt as you can see from the picture. I am going to go and buy a reverse thread screw extractor to get it out. I am just curious if I need to replace my Vanos system because I drilled into the metal?

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
sorry I was talking about the plastic piece you said, will the metal I removed under the bolt effect my Vanos?
The only metal under the bolt is the piston flange where it meets the spline shaft, so why the plastic cover has anything to do with what is under the bolt?

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
t I dug into the metal underneath the bolt as you can see from the picture. I
You mean the metal around the bolt, not underneath it? As I said before, under the bolt head is the piston flange to be held to the spline shaft, and so if the bolt is still there then your drill bit cannot touch the flange under the bolt.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
If you call damaged stuff around the bolt as underneath, then what's about the damaged part above, left, right to the bolt? They are around the bolt.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
I grabbed the wrong sized torx head for the reverse threaded bolts and stripped my bolt.
You had an easy problem to fix: just use an impact driver with a flat screw bit set to turn CW when hit it with a hammer. The bit will bite into the stripped bolt and turn it CW to loosen. Just a few taps and it should back out. What a mess now.

At Home Depot and Amazon:

Light Product Line Red Rectangle

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You had an easy problem to fix: just use an impact driver with a flat screw bit set to turn CW when hit it with a hammer. The bit will bite into the stripped bolt and turn it CW to loosen. Just a few taps and it should back out. What a mess now.

At Home Depot and Amazon:

View attachment 943842
yeah I know lol, I will go pick one up for the future, as far as the deep grove underneath the bolt (underneath meaning in the picture directly below) will that effect Vanos in any way (the cut in the metal)

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,906 Posts
so I was re installing my Vanos system after changing out all the gaskets and the worst thing possible could have happened. I grabbed the wrong sized torx head for the reverse threaded bolts and stripped my bolt. in an effort to get it out I used a drill and a larger torx bolt, (yes I know im an idiot) and I think I cut a bit of metal out from underneath the bolt? its in-between the bolt and the rubber piece that slides in, im not exactly sure if it will still be in-between when I put the rubber back in (its my first time) and im wondering if this will impact my Vanos in anyway or if I got extremely lucky and its outside of where the oil flows. also if any of you guys have fix recommendations that don't involve buying a new one that would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys. View attachment 943838
I have a spare bolt for a Vanos. Dm me your address.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
yeah I know lol, I will go pick one up for the future, as far as the deep grove underneath the bolt (underneath meaning in the picture directly below) will that effect Vanos in any way (the cut in the metal)
So the brown cover will not cover the hole around the bolt head good and will have leaking oil, and this will affect the life of the vanos piston roller bearing. Can you still snap the cover on the damaged hole around the bolt? If the cover cannot securely stay on, then it might fall off and jam the vanos piston movement causing problem and error codes.

·
Registered
2002 330ci auto
339 Posts
You'll want to remove that bolt and take the Vanos out again to clean up any metal filings from drilling.

I wonder if you could loosen the Vanos unit and pull it enough to loosen those 10mm bolts around the cover plate.

Then you could remove the Vanos, leaving the cover plate and piston in place, and get nice easy access to that stripped bolt. Could use some vice grips or whatever you have

I think you should be able to with a thin 10mm spanner.

·
Premium Member
2002 330 Ci
1,797 Posts
Go to a junk yard.

At my junk yard a vanos is 20 bucks....or 30....regardless they don't cost much. Then rebuild it.

I also have a used vanos i can give you. Shipping it might cost more than getting one from a yard though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So the brown cover will not cover the hole around the bolt head good and will have leaking oil, and this will affect the life of the vanos piston roller bearing. Can you still snap the cover on the damaged hole around the bolt? If the cover cannot securely stay on, then it might fall off and jam the vanos piston movement causing problem and error codes.
I will check today, the only thing I can hope for is that the metal that got shaved is in-between the plastic piece and the bolt so it will still seal properly? I don't remember how deep the plastic piece goes in. if it can still make a good oil seal and doesn't leak then its ok? how could I tell if it makes a good seal. thanks for helping me out btw

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Go to a junk yard.

At my junk yard a vanos is 20 bucks....or 30....regardless they don't cost much. Then rebuild it.

I also have a used vanos i can give you. Shipping it might cost more than getting one from a yard though.
do you think that would be better than ordering a new dr Vanos kit? car only has 68,000 miles on it and it would be a shame to have to put in an older Vanos unit. although I am the idiot who fucked mine up lmao.

·
Premium Member
2002 330 Ci
1,797 Posts
do you think that would be better than ordering a new dr Vanos kit? car only has 68,000 miles on it and it would be a shame to have to put in an older Vanos unit. although I am the idiot who fucked mine up lmao.
I thought dr vanos just sold the whole vanos.

I use the besian gasket kit.

So....if the vanos is actually damaged and cannot be used..... buy new seals and rebuild one from a junk yard.

Doesn't matter how old or miles on used vanos because after new seals it's "new".

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I thought dr vanos just sold the whole vanos.

I use the besian gasket kit.

So....if the vanos is actually damaged and cannot be used..... buy new seals and rebuild one from a junk yard.

Doesn't matter how old or miles on used vanos because after new seals it's "new".
ohh ok yeah I see, I just installed that kit on my current Vanos and then fucked mine up reinstalling, thanks bro

1 - 20 of 33 Posts