BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suppose the title says it all...while replacing the driver side FCA and bushing, I had a lot of trouble getting the bushing bracket to seat in the upper flange, and upon backing the bolt out of the threaded subframe insert, I saw the threads coming along with it. Any suggestions? I’m wondering if I can get to the back side of the insert and simply put a longer bolt through and put a nut on it. Thought I’d run it through this forum in case anyone else has been this boneheaded.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've done this before. No way you can get to the backside, but you can drill it out and put in a fresh thread insert. Any metric thread repair kit should do the trick.
Thanks for the info and advice, ZHPizza. I was all ready to do this (albeit reluctantly) but decided to take another look at the threads. I made a thread chaser out of one of the old bolts and just cleaned everything up, got threads lined up again, and finally got it to where a new bolt would glide in. Brackets are seated and bolted up. Just out of curiosity, was I overthinking the seriousness of drilling/tapping/rethreading the subframe hole? Maybe it’s not as big a deal as I was assuming.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Thanks for the info and advice, ZHPizza. I was all ready to do this (albeit reluctantly) but decided to take another look at the threads. I made a thread chaser out of one of the old bolts and just cleaned everything up, got threads lined up again, and finally got it to where a new bolt would glide in. Brackets are seated and bolted up. Just out of curiosity, was I overthinking the seriousness of drilling/tapping/rethreading the subframe hole? Maybe it’s not as big a deal as I was assuming.
I don't think you're overthinking it. I once ruined one of those threads myself and was also asking those same questions. Also ended up doing what you did.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts