BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... during a suspension install this weekend I managed to strip the 18 mm bolt that holds the strut to the housing. At first I tried to remove it with a socket and then tried a wrench. A wrench gave me more grip but it's too stripped now. It still grabs, its not rounded but definately some play in it.

What do you guys recommend?

I've done some research and seen suggestions to use vice grip pliers, maybe some deep creep or a grip-bolt socket to grab that sucker. It's really tight in there and who ever did the previous install did not put a washer between the bolt and the bracket. I tried lots of WD-40 but still no go.

I considered removing the sway link and trying to step on the rotor to release the control arm. Maybe this way I can release some pressure of the bolt and try to remove it then. (Not sure if this would work as I'm sure the bolt holds that pretty tight in there.)

This is the last corner needed for me to finish my installation.

I would want to avoid going the "bolt-extractor" route if possible as I don't have all the tools needed for that. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I would try Vise Grips first, you are going to have to replace the bolt anyway. Both extractors aren't necessary until you snap the head off the bolt.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
wd-40 is crap. spray it with some PB Blaster and let it sit for a while before unbolting.

also, try using a breaker bar to give yourself more torque leverage for stubborn bolts.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
wd-40 is crap. spray it with some PB Blaster and let it sit for a while before unbolting.

also, try using a breaker bar to give yourself more torque leverage for stubborn bolts.
Yeah, use WD-40 for what it is intended for, removing moisture. It's not a penetrating oil.

PB blaster is the key.

·
Registered
10 Posts
irwin.com:thumbsup:
Just use the 19mm one and if that wont do it hammer on the 17mm. Don't be afraid to abuse them either, they'll take it. You might as well use a bolt extractor since the head is already stripped since its not going back on anyways.

·
Registered
37 Posts
just hammer on the next size smaller socket and try using a air gun if possible or something powered to break it loose

·
Registered
4,180 Posts

+1. Used to remove an exhaust once. worked like a charm :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts