BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im shopping now for a new set of rubber and am seriously considering the Hankook V12's. How will they hold up for an occasional track session? im no racer just want to push my 330i with KW Coilovers. Im just wanting to learn how to handle the car when pushed to its limits. IF not the V12's then what tire should I get that wont break the bank for this daily driver.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Pretty much any summer performance(around 200 treadwear) tire will do. The Dunlop Z1 star spec is probably the best bang for the buck. They are other tires just check out tirerack.com. I have heard good things about the Hankook Ventus RS3 and Bridgestone RE11 tires too, but they cost a bit more.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Dunlop Z1 star spec is hard to beat. Very good high performance tires. If I didn't have a second set of wheel, this is what I would run on my BMW.

But if you want something similar to the V12 I would also recommend the Falcon FK-452.

At present I am running R888 and Dunlop Z1 star spec. They are too close to each other.

Next year I will return to Hoosier and Falcon FK-452.

Falcon FK-452 makes a lot of noise just before loosing contact. It is a highly previsible tire allowing to bring your BMW to its extreem limits => A lot of fun to drive and make a "show" around the race track. In addition it is very good under rain.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Gonna stay away from tire rack, their prices are more expensive than local shops. What kind of miles are you getting from the dunlops? I dont drive hard since its my daily driver and is why I let loose on the track! I just checked the wear rating and wow 200?? Guys how about a few other choices perhaps in the category of Max performance summers. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Before I committed my car to the track exclusively I really liked having one set of tires for the street and the another for the track.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
What track tires do you like?
I used to run Kumho V700 tires - I liked the victoracers and I could get them for a good price. There are tons of tires to choose from and since you're just getting started you don't need the best tires because you won't be able to take complete advantage of them. That said, if I were you, I'd check out the "cheaper" of the low treadwear rated tires and go from there.

First I would recommend staying with a 17" tire as they are substantially cheaper than 18" tires.

I had a bunch of friends that ran 17" Kumho MX tires and absolutely loved them for the price - I'd check into those and similar other tires. Try calling tirerack and tell them to run a search for you in regards to what tires they have available for a given size range and pricing - it should give you some pretty good insight and would be better than doing it online because it would take absolutely for ever.

Don't get caught up with the "sticky rubber" gig - it's not a big deal when you first start going out to the track.

Good luck

·
Registered
484 Posts
I daily drive on my star specs, and I love them, and they work great on the track. Depending on how long your summers are, how many miles you put on them, and how much aggressive driving you do, you could see 1-2 summers out of them.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks gents for the tips. Im leaning towards the Hankook v12's because they have a 280 treadware vs the 200 on the stars. I'll look into the Falken FK452 but I believe they have a 200 rating too. I'd like to stay with a higher rating because I put an average of 50 miles a day M-F driving for work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the Hankook V12 Evo's - I just did a track day ( weekend ). They held up well - the outside fronts started to shed rubber, but overall they are still in good shape and provided alot of traction even when I was over cooking the turn on occasion!

I got them because of price and the 280 rating - this is my daily driver with a typical 70 mile commute.

·
Registered
916 Posts
What track tires do you like?
The best bang for the buck when it comes to a track only tire, are used Continentals (aka Hoosiers). They are cheap (I sell my used ones for $100/set), the 225/45/17 is a common size for BMW's, they are durable (don't blister or chunk off) and last. Some guys here on the board buy my used ones and I know that they get plenty of time on them without any problems.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have the Hankook V12 Evo's - I just did a track day ( weekend ). They held up well - the outside fronts started to shed rubber, but overall they are still in good shape and provided alot of traction even when I was over cooking the turn on occasion!

I got them because of price and the 280 rating - this is my daily driver with a typical 70 mile commute.
Thaks qdessa, I ordered my set of V12's and look forward to hitting the track. Like you Its my daily driver so the most miles the better. Im glad it hooked up for you at the track. Just curious why the fronts were shedding rubber and the rears didnt??

·
Registered
18 Posts
another vote for the Star Specs. Have them on my M3, great for auto-xing & on the street. Decent tire wear for performance summers also. 7.5k on mine & lots of tread left.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
I've had the V12s, starspecs, and NT05s. NT05s were by far the best handling, but also the quickest wearing. I'd rate the starspecs next as far as grip, but they also wear noticeably faster than the hankooks. The hankooks were great for street driving and had great dry traction, and lasted a LOT longer than the other two.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts