BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering what everyone uses to stream music from his smartphone to his car.

I currently have a OEM radio cd business in my Touring.
The previous owner has wired a 30pin ipod connector coming from the glovebox.
Still need to figure out how to get it out there and replace it with a lightning cable :D
I dont think that the cable support music/data transfer and is only ment to change the device.

How did you guys managed to play music from your smartphone with your car?
Off market radio?
Bluetooth adapter?

·
Registered
10,690 Posts
Your head unit should have a connector for an auxiliary input as BMW switched to Alpine head units in 2003. That input can be connected to a Bluetooth device. Check GROM and Dension. Also, check www.crutchfield.com as it sell a ton of audio stuff for cars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your head unit should have a connector for an auxiliary input as BMW switched to Alpine head units in 2003. That input can be connected to a Bluetooth device. Check GROM and Dension. Also, check www.crutchfield.com as it sell a ton of audio stuff for cars.

I'm quiet new to this, but are you talking about the following unit as the Alpine head units?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've got the dension gateway lite unit for about 3 months now and I love it. Automatically connects and the calls are clear as you can expect. It is expensive comparatively but way better than the chinese units (I know from experience). I would highly recommend it to anyone who's looking into this.

·
Registered
2000 323ci
45 Posts
I think all of the offerings for BMWs specifically only provide substandard A2DP bluetooth streaming. And some do not integrate with the steering controls. You can get a device at Amazon for as little as $15 that will do AptX Bluetooth -> AUX with no steering control. I'm considering something like the Kinivo BTC450, which includes AptX and a track fwd/back control, maybe also will answer the phone.

·
Registered
2000 323ci
45 Posts
Check out https://www.bluebus.dev

The first round is almost ready to ship and he has started a 2nd round.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
It doesn't seem to support aptX. It would need the BC127-HD chip instead of BC127. The radio/steering interface is great but why spend $235 to get good controls and lackluster audio? I'd rather spend $35 and get good audio with lackluster controls and still have $200.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Of course you are certainly entitled to spend money where you want but you would need MUCH better speakers and amp in order for aptX to sound any better in a nearly 20 year old car. If that is your driving concern you may want to consider a different vehicle.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
220 Posts
It doesn't seem to support aptX. It would need the BC127-HD chip instead of BC127. The radio/steering interface is great but why spend $235 to get good controls and lackluster audio? I'd rather spend $35 and get good audio with lackluster controls and still have $200.
Hi! I'm the creator of the BlueBus :)

The BlueBus utilizes AAC for HD audio streaming between the phone and the BC127. The big advantage here, other than avoiding licensing costs for aptX, is that 256kbps AAC sources are transmitted without any kind of re-encoding on the fly, which will produce a higher fidelity output. AAC is also 25% better than the equal bitrate aptX stream, but at the sacrifice of computational efficiency (which doesn't really matter to us).

All that said, dutchhome is right: You're not going to get your moneys worth out of an HD audio stream with the audio system in a 20 year old car.

The big value add of the BlueBus comes from two things:

1. Out of the box support for the vehicles telephony system

2. Deep integration with the OE electronics, which allow for some neat comfort settings to be added.

Thanks!
-Ted

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi! I'm the creator of the BlueBus :)

The BlueBus utilizes AAC for HD audio streaming between the phone and the BC127. The big advantage here, other than avoiding licensing costs for aptX, is that 256kbps AAC sources are transmitted without any kind of re-encoding on the fly, which will produce a higher fidelity output. AAC is also 25% better than the equal bitrate aptX stream, but at the sacrifice of computational efficiency (which doesn't really matter to us).

All that said, dutchhome is right: You're not going to get your moneys worth out of an HD audio stream with the audio system in a 20 year old car.

The big value add of the BlueBus comes from two things:

1. Out of the box support for the vehicles telephony system

2. Deep integration with the OE electronics, which allow for some neat comfort settings to be added.

Thanks!
-Ted
Thanks Ted for clarifying.

Please can you advise on two things;

1. Metadata - I almost exclusively use Spotify for streaming music - will BlueBus display what's playing from my phone on this platform?

2. Phonebook - can I scroll through my contacts on my iPhone and will it display incoming calls, names - or when new the number that's calling?

Looks like a fabulous product and a great way of integrating new technology with the iBus.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks Ted for clarifying.

Please can you advise on two things;

1. Metadata - I almost exclusively use Spotify for streaming music - will BlueBus display what's playing from my phone on this platform?

2. Phonebook - can I scroll through my contacts on my iPhone and will it display incoming calls, names - or when new the number that's calling?

Looks like a fabulous product and a great way of integrating new technology with the iBus.
Howdy!

1. Yes, almost every single major music app provides AVRCP metadata, so showing track info is almost never an issue with any app :)

2. You can't scroll through contacts just yet, but it's on the feature list. You can see the phone number calling you on the nav screen / Business CD display.

Thanks!
-Ted

1 - 12 of 12 Posts