E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my '03 330xi last December. After a couple of months and 2500 miles I've still got this strange vibration since new. I'll try to give as much detail as possible with hope someone else here may have had a similar experience.

The vibration is of moderate frequency that appears to come from the back of the car. We feel it mostly through the seats. Nothing through the steering wheel. The stange part is it only happens on expressways that have been recently resurfaced and only between 64 and 66 MPH. (Milwaukee had a couple of its expressways resurfaced recently) On older bumpier surfaces, no vibration. It is not RPM related because it does not happen if I match revs (around 1700-2000) in 4th gear of my Steptronic.

If the conditions are just right and I open a window while this is happening it'll kick off a really bad case of that acoustic drumming people say they get with their sunroof open. I happened so bad one time it literally stopped my speakers:banghead:

As part of the diags I've tried various tire pressure settings (I have the run flat package with the pressure sensors). I've also taken the car to a respected goodyear dealer and had them check the balance on the rear wheels. All within specs.

Obviously the next step is the dealer, but you know how that goes. It is so specifc if I don't have a handle on what I think it is, it'll never get past the service writer to the technician. I'll get the "can't find anything wrong.":sad:

Thanx in advance for your help

·
Registered
119 Posts
A lot of people have ahd rear sub frame problems so might want to a search for that and see what you can find....Good Luck:dunno:

·
BMW NA Customer Relations
106 Posts
I’m with BMW of North America, LLC. I’m sorry to read this problem you are having with your 330xi. If you or your Center would like our assistance, please phone us at (800) 831-1117 or email us through the Owners’ Circle at www.bmwusa.com.

BMW NA Customer Relations

1 - 4 of 4 Posts