E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the intake on my 2001 325i this past monday, drove it to work tues and wednes and a friends noticed a strange grinding sound coming from my car. I can barely hear it from inside, but on the outside it is pretty load. Someone else said it sounded like my "gate" is staying open too long - don't know what that means exactly. Any ideas, anyone have a similar experience? Thanks.

·
Just Marinatin'
2,503 Posts
a grinding noise?

Correct me if I am wrong but the BFP is the same concept as the Dinan right? If so then there must be something seriously wrong if there is a "grinding" sound. I got a hissing sound and it definitely echoes off of the ground since it sits so low. You should have someone check that situation out. The gate would be the door that opens to let air in when you step on the gas although I wasn't aware that these cars actually had them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is weird...

that I don't get any kind of warnings or anything, just a subtle sounds that just doesn't seem right. I have checked it out and everything is still connected properly. Sucks... all that work to install :banghead:

·
Registered
189 Posts
jsteb said:
I installed the intake on my 2001 325i this past monday, drove it to work tues and wednes and a friends noticed a strange grinding sound coming from my car. I can barely hear it from inside, but on the outside it is pretty load. Someone else said it sounded like my "gate" is staying open too long - don't know what that means exactly. Any ideas, anyone have a similar experience? Thanks.

Couple of questions:

-Is it "grinding" when you are in park and feather the throttle, or when you're in motion?

-Did you modify anything else during the install?

-When you turn the car on and let it idle, does it make the noise? Can you see anything which might be physically in the way of something?

-Are you throwing any check engine lights? If the throttle was being held open too long the TPS (throttle position sensor) would cause the ECU to throw a check engine light.

Without personally (or having a mechanic) looking at it, I can't diagnose the problem, and this is the first instance I've heard of this happening. One thought is this; the stock airbox serves to muffle noise from the engine, and the BFP intake gets rid of that muffling. I am thinking that there may have been a preexisting noise that the factory airbox muffled which you can now hear because of the intake. Either way, please have a professional take a look at the car.

Please let me know ASAP.

-SB

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been outside with it for about an hour now with a is300 owner who also has an intake... our combined thoughts are that it is just the intake changing pitch as I accelerate. It is a very difficult sound to describe, but it doesn't sound quite right. I only hear it while in motion, generally in 1-3 and it occurs early in my pressing of the pedal. I can't hear it at all when I accelerate quickly in 2nd on up due to the volume of the engine. No warning lights appear and my engine temp is fine. I did not make any other modifcations at the time of the install - although I did have trouble with the install because the default filter won't fit into the cavity near the bottom of the bumper ( I email you, SB, on that already). I didn't notice it to occur or be louder on turns, but it is most noticable when driving slowly in 1st. When parked everything seems normal. Your guidance is appreaciated. It may just be a weird echo, and I don't think it a problem specific to your intake - it just happens to be the one I installed. The car definately responds better and has more balls than before... just want to prevent any potential long term issues my car may develop. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I have a slight hiss from the change in airflow that I can hear at idle of very low rpm's but it sounds nothing like a grinding noise. I also have the BFP... hiss or not, i love the thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hissing may be a better...

way of explaining it... but grinding is what came out of my friends mouth and that is all I could think of afterwords. I agree, I am pleased with the extra "umph".

·
E46Fanatic
3,060 Posts
Re: It is weird...

jsteb said:
Sucks... all that work to install :banghead:
you think that sucks, i recently found out i gotta take my whole damn bumper off to put this friggin thing in. not looking forward to this at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Even with the K&N...

or did you get the default filter - that thing is a beast - I ended up having to trade with a friend until I can get another new one - there is no way I was going to take the bumper off!

·
E46Fanatic
3,060 Posts
Re: Even with the K&N...

jsteb said:
or did you get the default filter - that thing is a beast - I ended up having to trade with a friend until I can get another new one - there is no way I was going to take the bumper off!
i got the K&N. i got it so cheap on the GB, so worst case scenario i should be able to sell it for what i payed. they're going for like $40-50 more than what i got it for now w/ the special e46fanatics pricing. this was actually the only thing that turned me off from the dinan. i'm pretty pissed about this. we'll see what i decide

·
Just Marinatin'
2,503 Posts
the bumper is the easy part

I can take the bumper off in about 10 minutes. It is the headlight that takes a little longer to get off and stuff.

·
Registered
272 Posts
any ideas?????

guys..any idea on how to reduce the hissing noise from the CAI's. I heard from KevinJ_2k1_325ci that we can add an air intake boot with a resonant chamber from a 530 to help reduce the noise. Anyone tried this or has other suggestions on how to get rid of the hissing noise. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I tried taking off the headlight but failed omg that was hard...i only had to take off the mud flap/guard and stick in the filter from bottom of the car. it wasn't that hard.

·
Registered
975 Posts
The easyiest way to install a bfp cai is the take the head light off, it takes between 5 to 10 min, as for the noise is pretty normal as long it's a sizzling noise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all of the input and feedback>

I will keep an eye on it - maybe I am too paranoid. Performance is up - that's for sure! Thanks again.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have a slight whistling noise too. But it is part of all CAI. It goes away after 3000RPM because I can't hear it over the intake and exhaust. Anyway, no biggie. Make sure the tube is cleaned. It should be a whistling noise instead of a grinding noise. With a griding noise, you might have a leaf stuck inside the tube.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Someone told me that disconnecting the battery terminals...

would allow the ECU to reset and that may change the way the engine sucks the air - ever heard that before, any truth to it?

·
E46Fanatic
3,060 Posts
frenchym3 said:
The easyiest way to install a bfp cai is the take the head light off, it takes between 5 to 10 min, as for the noise is pretty normal as long it's a sizzling noise.
not for bi-xenon coupes cause it's tighter. it's basically the same intall as dinan. either remove front bumper or go through the wheelwell. and take out front headlight

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Re: any ideas?????

The 525 has a responance chamber to. See below. The part should cost around $20-25 plus shipping if anyone has extra $ and wants to try. I would suggest cutter motors or pacific for the cheapest price.

phamman said:
guys..any idea on how to reduce the hissing noise from the CAI's. I heard from KevinJ_2k1_325ci that we can add an air intake boot with a resonant chamber from a 530 to help reduce the noise. Anyone tried this or has other suggestions on how to get rid of the hissing noise. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts