E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

need help.

i have 2003 M3 SMG done 65000 full dealer history. came to car last week wouldnt start and gear box light on dash. trailered to local BMW garage to be told the smg control unit needs replacing. cost £1200. great problem solved now car starts.

NOT solved, car worse than ever, it is awful to drive. it is agressive like it is stuck in high sports mode, car will not change up a gear until at least 4000 rpm.

so when setting off slowly in traffic up to say 15mph car reving arse off and wont change up. in 30mpg zone car in 2nd gear reving at 3800, would have to speed to get it into 3rd, same at 70mph, car in 4th and not 6th!

so y not pull the paddle shift and change up for it, like you always could, now the paddle shift only works into a gear if the revs are high enough, so you cannot manually choose 2nd gear unles you go over 4000 rpm.

gear box mode is not saved on the key, so everytime you go back to it it is in default mode 3, when left in 2.

BMW say car needs to learn parameters and driving style. sounds like crap to me, if this was a new car i would never have bought it it is an awful drive and not nice and smooth and pleasurable like it used to me.

any advice please.

thanks

Wes

·
Registered
315 Posts
That is BS! Take it back and tell them to fix it the way it supposed to be. And tell them if they can't diagnose the problem, have them call BMW for the answer.

·
Registered
205 Posts
that is bs! Take it back and tell them to fix it the way it supposed to be. And tell them if they can't diagnose the problem, have them call bmw for the answer.
+1000

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi,

thanks for this. they have now admitted that they did not set the parameters properly when installing the new smg unit. this has now been done. the gear box warning light has now come on again and they are telling me that the new smg unit wont match with the gearbox or clutch because of excessive wear. (the light wasnt on before) they have told me they need to remove the gearbox and either replace it or the clutch!

this is horse ****! i took it in because of a failed smg control unit and now i have a problem with the gearbox! funny thing is it drives perfect with no clutch slip or gearbox issues but the new control unit isnt compatable with a 7 year old warn car! its only done 70,000 miles for f**k sake!

any other suggestions on how to turn off the gear box light??

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yes. Go and find a competant workshop. They've bulllshitted to you from start to finish, the wear story is just another load of nonsense, they simply haven't done any of the calibration correctly.

Cheers
JM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts