BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased a 2000 328i for my daughter and the car is in great shape and runs fantastic. We have had it for about a week and not a drop of oil on my garage floor. Today I went to look at tires and parked it on an side/uphil driveway. After about ten minutes I looked and I had a huge puddle of oil under my car. I quickly pulled it to the road where it was flat and it stopped. I checked all fluids and they were all fine so I went home and tried to figure out Where it came from. I could not find anything from the usual places that I have found here so I thought I should try and recreate the situation. I put in on my steep driveway and no drips. I pulled it on a little bit of angle and it started to drip. It was coming out of the tubes that are in the oil pan on the drivers side I am not sure what they are for though and if that is not a sealed access.

What should I be doing for this?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are going into hole one. From that diagram I would say it is the dipstick. Is that correct?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tubes are the dipstick and another tube off of it right at the oil pan is what I think. I am guessing that the o ring is shot. Would love another opinion.

33,616 Posts
Sounds like its the o ring or its just not seated correctly. That would explain why it only leaks when tilted to that side. Try pulling the dip stick and inspecting it and the o ring. I cant remember whats involved since the last time I had it off was for the ccv, but it should be only two bolts then yould be able to pull it straight up... and I believe there is a hose on the back that is connected to it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is what I was thinking I will do today. Does anyone know if I need to take off more than just the intake to get to it? Is the O ring avaible at autozone or is it a dealer item?

·
Registered
30 Posts
parts diagram

Here's the parts diagram from REALOEM.COM (become familiar with this site)
the diagram is for my 528iT, but it has the same engine as your 328i (M52TU)

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DP63&mospid=47595&btnr=11_2187&hg=11&fg=10

I mostly buy from AutohausAZ.com - using the part number that I find on REALOEM

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/group.aspx?sid=wnriua55ny32et45e1pkdu55&[email protected]&[email protected]&year=1999&[email protected]%20Parts,%20Seals%20%26%20Gaskets

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
should be a very simple fix.
Should is the key word here. Most likely it will cause other issues as I know my mechanical abilities. I am the Tim (the tool man) Taylor when it come to cars.

Going to pick up the O Ring gasket today.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just got it finished and the o ring that was in there was missing about 1/4 of it. Furtunatly I found no other issues.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts