E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I need your help. I hear the noise like pfffff pshhhh:hmm::rolleyes: while pressing the gas pedal. But i think it is not a fuel pump because the fuel pump noise coming from back side and when you open the starter.However mine is coming from in front of driver while pressing the gas pedal slowly you hear a noise from bort and my mileage of economiser is going up then second time you can hear while press the pedal slowly and mileage going back. Is it blow off (has they blow off?), vacuum , fuel pump ? Is it normal or not? Do you hear the same noise? :tsk:
Thank you in adance and sorry my english.
My car 1999 e46 2 motor

·
Registered
599 Posts
You have a vacuum leaks somewhere. Check the usual suspects, intact manifold duct work. Make sure to inspect the little elbow that goes to the ICV, that is notorious for tearing.

PS - Mack89 is right, if you have a CAI it will make a noise similar to what you are describing under acceleration...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You have a vacuum leaks somewhere. Check the usual suspects, intact manifold duct work. Make sure to inspect the little elbow that goes to the ICV, that is notorious for tearing.

PS - Mack89 is right, if you have a CAI it will make a noise similar to what you are describing under acceleration...

Could you please open for me what is ICV ( I... C... V... in words ) Thanks a lot :)

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
:hmm:whats a BMW 2 motor

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I checked CAI photo on the internet, i Havn`t this system.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,765 Posts
Hi everyone,

I need your help. I hear the noise like pfffff pshhhh:hmm::rolleyes: while pressing the gas pedal. But i think it is not a fuel pump because the fuel pump noise coming from back side and when you open the starter.However mine is coming from in front of driver while pressing the gas pedal slowly you hear a noise from bort and my mileage of economiser is going up then second time you can hear while press the pedal slowly and mileage going back. Is it blow off (has they blow off?), vacuum , fuel pump ? Is it normal or not? Do you hear the same noise? :tsk:
Thank you in adance and sorry my english.
My car 1999 e46 2 motor
It's a little hard to be sure what you mean. First, you should describe your car right and left (from sitting in driver's seat) all the time--I don't know if you're right or left hand drive.

Second, I don't know what 'bort' is, but I'm guessing exhaust manifold.

There is a vacuum line on the mpg indicator. Search for hissing and mpg and see what you find.

Lower intake boot being ripped, as said, is common 'whistle' (etc.) sound we have. But, we have many sounds coming from our cars and sometimes the words used to describe them aren't as good as a video. You might post one and maybe get more help.

BTW, your English is better than half the American population! :lmao:
HTH

Doug

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's a little hard to be sure what you mean. First, you should describe your car right and left (from sitting in driver's seat) all the time--I don't know if you're right or left hand drive.

Second, I don't know what 'bort' is, but I'm guessing exhaust manifold.

There is a vacuum line on the mpg indicator. Search for hissing and mpg and see what you find.

Lower intake boot being ripped, as said, is common 'whistle' (etc.) sound we have. But, we have many sounds coming from our cars and sometimes the words used to describe them aren't as good as a video. You might post one and maybe get more help.

BTW, your English is better than half the American population! :lmao:
HTH

Doug

I have got 320i e46
1.Left hand drive
2. I mean gear.
3. It is not a whistle it is i don`t know how to describe in english but hope you call it like hissing ( pffff or pshhht ).For instance i arrive slowly to traffic lights and when start to press slowly the gas pedal ( accel.) then comes this noise ( 1, 2 seconds) and economiser react. This sound like a fuel pump noise while you open the starter but comes from the gear side in front of driver.I don`t know what is the problem but it is connected with pedal.

I asked in many forums about this problem but did not get anything.Hope here will get the unswer and will fix my problem.
I don`t know maybe this is normal? if normal then should hear in all e46s.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,765 Posts
I have got 320i e46
1.Left hand drive
2. I mean gear.
3. It is not a whistle it is i don`t know how to describe in english but hope you call it like hissing ( pffff or pshhht ).For instance i arrive slowly to traffic lights and when start to press slowly the gas pedal ( accel.) then comes this noise ( 1, 2 seconds) and economiser react. This sound like a fuel pump noise while you open the starter but comes from the gear side in front of driver.I don`t know what is the problem but it is connected with pedal.

I asked in many forums about this problem but did not get anything.Hope here will get the unswer and will fix my problem.
I don`t know maybe this is normal? if normal then should hear in all e46s.

Thanks in advance.
We can guess everything, thus I know this forum will get it! LOL

Economiser? Not sure what that is? Automatic trans or manual?

Open the starter? Not getting that part either.

Have someone rev your engine a little while you isolate source of sound using something like a 5' long garden hose as a stethoscope--stick one end in ear, the other around your car.

It sounds like the lower intake boot is ripped, but a higher pitched psss phtfftttt, might be from a smaller vacuum hose leaking. Any vac related sound will get louder with the pedal--more throttle, more intake suction, louder pssssft pshteeststtsssttt sound

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We can guess everything, thus I know this forum will get it! LOL

Economiser? Not sure what that is? Automatic trans or manual?

Open the starter? Not getting that part either.

Have someone rev your engine a little while you isolate source of sound using something like a 5' long garden hose as a stethoscope--stick one end in ear, the other around your car.

It sounds like the lower intake boot is ripped, but a higher pitched psss phtfftttt, might be from a smaller vacuum hose leaking. Any vac related sound will get louder with the pedal--more throttle, more intake suction, louder pssssft pshteeststtsssttt sound
I hope also :)
Economiser: There was written km/L for example 100 km the car uses 22-5 L petrol.Hope i could explain.:hmm:
Starter : While you are entering the key and turn to start.:facepalm:
I took my car to BMW service but nothing just they sad that noise coming from my gear and i should change if would like.I think that they just could not find the noise :blah:
Info: While car stops ( parking ) i press the gas pedal bud could not hear the same noise, i pushed maximum and nothing.The noise comes while i drive slowly and while pressing the gas pedal suddenly. So i think that i should take again to the service to check vacuum hoses.:banghead:
I can try to get video and this noise

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Perhaps a PCV??? high frequency annoying sound @ or around 16-17kHz

Sorry, but what is PCV?:p Could you please, describe P...C ... V.... i also will ask to check it in service.:tsk: How does it impact to fuel consumption gauge?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yeah I have that same "problem"
It's not really a problem unless it annoys you!
I have a CAI so maybe my circumstance is a little different than yours, however, if I'm not mistaken, it probably has something to do with your intake, have you changed your filter, cleaned it?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts