BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:banghead: :banghead:
To make a long story short, my rim got stuck between a rubberized guard rail and the track at a car wash. Still not sure why it was stuck, but it took 15 minutes to get loose and when it finally did, my rim was severly damaged. Here's a pic:

This was the first time I let anyone else touch the paint on my car and the only reason I did was because my car was filty from all the snow we've been having and its still 15 degrees outside with no sign of it warming up anytime soon. I had to get all the crap off my car. So I took it to a handwash place where I've seen lots of nice cars come out of.

Besides the fact that the guys at the wash were total morons (who couldn't drive stick btw) and none of them spoke good english, not even the owner...what pisses me off most is how badly damaged the rim got after rubbing against a RUBBERIZED guard rail. The rail had a nice think layer of somewhat soft rubber surrounding it. Granted, it was really cold out, but I'm still suprised to see that much damage when rubbed against rubber.

I'm never going to another car wash again, even if it means getting frost bite. To everyone on Long Island, NY - stay away from the handwash place at the corner of Jericho and Herricks Rd. in Mineola.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope, front driver side. the guy didn't align the car properly...

·
Registered
775 Posts
I feel sorry for ya.. But it is repairable.. I've had worst damage on my wheels because I hit a curb twice at the same place.. (Am I stupid or what???? :bawling: )

·
Registered
331 Posts
get new shoes and sell me your spare :D~

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Sorry to hear about that bro - next time have them hand wash it so that they don't run it through the track. It's scary having someone else wash my car...

·
Registered
47 Posts
My wheel looks something like yours, except imagine that same 'rash' spanning across 1/4 of the entire rim. Be careful, mine started by looking just like yours, but slowly started chipping away and got to what it is now. No worries tho...since it is my front driver's side wheel as well, I can replace it with my spare!

BTW, can dennisf or anybody else suggest any places in southern california to get my wheel fixed? is it just the coating thats damaged? Thanks.

-moo

·
Registered
775 Posts
MooDogg said:
BTW, can dennisf or anybody else suggest any places in southern california to get my wheel fixed? is it just the coating thats damaged? Thanks.

-moo
I live in the netherlands (europe), so that is a problem. The guy that did my wheel twice has done a great job, I can't find where I damaged it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tnx for the link rvnvet...i'll check them out.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Sorry to hear that . . . when I had my 01 330 I had both back rims with the same type of marks but worse.

These wheels are too delicate . . . it's not the structure of the wheel but the finish (or paint ?) that seems to come off very easily.

I am pretty sure Geo330 used that wheel place in Farmingdale to have his rim fixed when he had his 325, you might want to check it out with him. I think they charge about $100-125.

Also, have you considered just switching out the spare . . .

One other warning with the M68's, I've had tires changed on my old car and the shops always manage to leave marks on the wheel no matter how careful they are, the finish is just too soft

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wasn't really looking to repair because I plan on buying a new set this summer anyway. Plus a couple of my wheels are damaged...one from a tire change like stated above. I was more upset at how badly damaged the rim was after being rubbed against rubber.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts