E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
AREA 51
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i was driving tonight and i had this burnt rubber kind of smell in my car...it didn't seem to come from under the hood. it smelled outside below the car. no clutch slippage felt. car runs fine. gauges all check out ok.

the weird thing is that you could smell it through the vents in the car

i told the dealer about it once when the smell was not so bad and they found nothing wrong

i told them again and they said wait until the engine recall break-in is over so they can test the clutch again

i don't know cause the clutch feels fine

i don't think i'm burning oil

ITS FREAKING ME OUT!!! :banghead:

thoughts?

...oh, and my exhaust smells nasty (weird odor like ammonia)

is my M3 falling apart? :hmm:

·
Tinfoilhatatarian
2,622 Posts
bender73 said:
i was driving tonight and i had this burnt rubber kind of smell in my car...it didn't seem to come from under the hood. it smelled outside below the car. no clutch slippage felt. car runs fine. gauges all check out ok.

the weird thing is that you could smell it through the vents in the car

i told the dealer about it once when the smell was not so bad and they found nothing wrong

i told them again and they said wait until the engine recall break-in is over so they can test the clutch again

i don't know cause the clutch feels fine

i don't think i'm burning oil

ITS FREAKING ME OUT!!! :banghead:

thoughts?

...oh, and my exhaust smells nasty (weird odor like ammonia)

is my M3 falling apart? :hmm:
catalytic Converter? (egg smell)
Or maybe your brakes are rubbing?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've seen a plastic bag get stuck to the exhaust and burn for a while... Other than that and some sort of a clutch problem I'm not sure what else might be causing it unless it's something obvious.... :dunno:

·
Registered
42 Posts
maybe u ran over a plastic bag or something, as 4 the ammonia smell from the exhaust - mine always stinks of ammonia ---i think it has to do w/ the gas u use(very hi octane)

·
AREA 51
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i ran over a bag...months ago

it can't still smell from that!!!

i feel ok with the ammonia now thing but i really think something is wrong cause there is no way i should be smelling something burning all the time...my '04 325ci never did that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got the same problem . Check your trunk under the carpets between the spare wheel well and the rear seats there is a sound deadening pad stuck to the floor above the diff , this pad may be melting due to excessive heat from the diff . if this is the prob I may have a solution .
PS : the material should be rock hard and not soft to the touch , if it is then this is your problem.

·
AREA 51
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imotrian said:
I've got the same problem . Check your trunk under the carpets between the spare wheel well and the rear seats there is a sound deadening pad stuck to the floor above the diff , this pad may be melting due to excessive heat from the diff . if this is the prob I may have a solution .
PS : the material should be rock hard and not soft to the touch , if it is then this is your problem.
thanks!!! i'll take a look after work. sounds like a weird thing.

that said, i still shouldn't have the smell coming in through my front air vents though if what you said is the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts