BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was getting my trunk dynomated when the stereo shop called me and told me that some how my sub got punctured :ben: and of course they said they were sorry and would be replacing tho sub they gave me a few options

1.new jl audio 10w7 or w6(this is where i need the help been reading a few post ppl saying the w6 hits harder) oh yea i had the w7 with the h.o box

2. theyre orion dealers and offered to give me a orion hcc 10"(claim it would hit harder the any w7) and put it in my jl audio H.O box

heres a lil vid of the sub at work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofBRUBgYmQA

now another issue is the fact that iv only got a jlaudio 500/1(slash) so i dont really wanna have 2 get a new amp

so i need some advice from some of the pros what would be best w7,w6,or orion hhc????

p.s

guy that owns stereo is a coo guy known him for years always hooks me up

·
Registered
83 Posts
I hear great things about the W6 from the SQ boys, they are much more concerned about sound quality over sheer might, they pick the W6 over the W7. so if SQ is your thing, then maybe go that route.

i have no personal experience of either tho. Head over to the talk audio forum http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/ they should be able to advise you of the best option.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The HO box for the w7 is bigger than the one for the W6. I would want what I originally had in the box, plus the w7 costs ~$200 more than the w6. The video only tests power handling. There are tons of subs that can handle more power than the w7, so what? It says nothing about sound quality.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The HO box for the w7 is bigger than the one for the W6. I would want what I originally had in the box, plus the w7 costs ~$200 more than the w6. The video only tests power handling. There are tons of subs that can handle more power than the w7, so what? It says nothing about sound quality.
really? didnt knw the w7 box was bigger then the w6 thought they were the same size. yea man u do bring up a good point on the orion all they were sayin was that it hits harder but they didnt say anything about the sound quality.
but still trying to get a little more input. but u make very valid points and yea it is more expensive for a reason.

p.s

kind of works out cuz i had jus got that setup last week off of craigslist for $300. but was a lil worried about the wear and tear they put on the sub so lol might be getting a new one with WARRANTY!!! lol

·
Registered
176 Posts
i have 3 old school 12w6 that ive had for years they hit hard. like was said a w6 box is 1/2 the size a w7 and is worth less money. honestly they bost sound nice if they were throwing in the 200 and a new box id go w6 if not then w7.

·
Registered
143 Posts
W6 is going to be cleaner and tighter, especially if it's not a v2.

The Orion will quite probably be a louder sub given enough power and the proper box but they are pretty well known to sound like ***.
The JL sounds way better, much more linear response.

I would personally take another w7, that's what you had before, that's what you paid for, it's what they screwed up unless for some reason you are not happy with it.
Honestly if you want massive spl you should move into a 12 or multiples anyways and if you want SQ you should change subs for something a lot cleaner. if you are happy with the w7 just get another one, they are great subs.

·
Registered
11,522 Posts
A W6 and W7 are quite different. A W7 is a low distortion sub which focuses on the lowest 2 octaves. A W6 is geared to be an all-around performer and has a lot more bass, upper bass output.

Most music doesn't go down below 40 hz so your average person will like a W6 better.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
hmmm i really didnt knw that the w7 was meant lower then 40hz, well i did upgrade from a 12" L7 and the jl jus hits so much harder but hmmmm now u got me thinkin if the w6 is gonna hit harder maybe i should go with that.

on a side note im still getting alot of rattling from the area where my license plate is at (you know how weak the bracket is) do u guys have anu advice or suggestions???

thanx guys in advance

·
Registered
700 Posts
I liked my w7, but, if they are offering to replace it, don't go with the w6, it's worth much less money. Make sure they get you the w6 + cash difference. And yes, mustangguy is right, the w7 box is massive. Everything else will be about half the size

1 - 13 of 13 Posts