BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any good upgrades for my step transmission besides software that will give me better acceleration?

·
Banned
4,041 Posts
Dinan software is the only software that is out for steptronics. It supposed to make shifts a bit faster and hold each gear until you shift and not upshift automatically at redline.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
for example, I know that for the manual you can get lightweight flywheel, clutch stop, ssk, etc. I was just wondering if there is anything like that for the step tranny

·
'a certain moderator'
37,714 Posts
u could swap the differential. u have a 3.38, and Renn Sport is coming out with a 3.91 diff pretty soon. that should be rather livable with ur step tranny, and give some def. gains that u can feel.

·
Registered
202 Posts
BMWERKEN said:
Well you have to be aware of the fact that the step tranny can only handle 270 torque and 310HP...so if you go FI, most likely super, u can't bump PSI up to produce such levels of power...
Why?

I'm interested in where these numbers came from.

My 328i is pre step and I know that it's GM tranny can be built to take a whole bunch more.

I've built much heavier cars with tons more torque over the years and had no problems with similar uints.

·
ILCUTAWOOTIE
3,694 Posts
wait

theres a guy on this forum who has a steptronic and pushes like 350 horses...that one guy that wanted all those parts to improve his already improven car...im not in the mood to search...if u wanna search, search "cardan shafT" his post should come up
-ALex

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
those # 's came STRAIGHT FROM BMW ... someone posted an email reply from them a while back.. the tranny is NOT Suppose to handle anything greator than like 265lbs of torque.. anymore than that and you will experience rapid wear which will lead to transmission failure down the line..

·
Registered
202 Posts
By rapid wear and failure sounds like bands burning up and not hard parts failing.

Has anyone had one fail and taken it apart to see what failied?

I'm wondering if line pressure can be turned up to increase clamping force? Maybe something as simple as an aftermarket oil cooler would do it too.

Has anyone looked into using any of the million shift kits / valve body mods for GM trannies?

Betting BMW set it kind of soft so the shifts are "smooth" but generally stuff like that can be easily fixed.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
chmdrm said:
By rapid wear and failure sounds like bands burning up and not hard parts failing.

Has anyone had one fail and taken it apart to see what failied?

I'm wondering if line pressure can be turned up to increase clamping force? Maybe something as simple as an aftermarket oil cooler would do it too.

Has anyone looked into using any of the million shift kits / valve body mods for GM trannies?

Betting BMW set it kind of soft so the shifts are "smooth" but generally stuff like that can be easily fixed.
bump:D

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,152 Posts
well their is 3 or 4 things you can to

perf. air intake
larger throttle boddies
and this one is very expensive but ( i larger rear end gear )would
give you the most gain but it is very costly.
so3 tires that is perf. tires. or if you go to the track get slicks or
1/2 slick and 1/2 perf. tire but this tire is good for around 5,000 to 10,000 miles
bobm3 ;) ;)

·
name's PHIL
6,087 Posts
grizzy727 said:
I have Dinan it works caost $750 u need engine step 1 as well
I thinks its worth it and it DOES make a difference

thats what everyone with dinan says.......u guys have to justify spending all that $$$$ for minimal gains some how right :D :lmao: :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts