BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
****** User
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well the other day i took my car out to a couple empty streets. I was trying to learn how to launch but cant figure it out on this type of transmission..I know i should turn the DSC off and then what? Some of my friends told me to PowerBrake (holding down brake and gassing?) and then realease gas but i cant seem to do it. Can someone else tell me what technique they use.

2000 323i

thanks

·
BMW Land Barge
1,376 Posts
Push the brake, floor the gas pedal, smell your torque converter and release the brake. You'll launch as fast as your car can manage. Eventually, you'll burn out your transmission.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
29,397 Posts
Yeh power braking is a no no. It's not bad if you do it once but I would recommend not doing it at all, it's just not necessary. To launch my car, I leave DSC on as the 2.5L seen in both the 325 and the 323 does not have enough torque to spin the wheels when floored. So I just basically wait till the light is green, and as my friend and I say, "Mash it and forget it", basically to just floor it and steer. Really that is the best way to SAFELY launch an auto...

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
What I do with my slow step 325i

If I really need a good launch or something for some odd reason, I dont bother turning off DSC because this car is just simply too weak to even spin the wheels off a launch if it's step. I just put it in sport drive and apply the brake only to like 2000 rpms and then floor it hard. power braking to a high rpm wont do anything because this car just does not have the torque to use that power brake effectively as an AMG car would. the little bit of power braking to like 2k will give me a tiny bit of a jump or a lurch forward. Good luck being slow haha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts