BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after 2 weeks of test-driving many different models and transmission out there in the market; I ended up buying 330i Steptronic . This is simply the best sports sedan for the money. I've driven stick for 2 years (98accord) and got pretty comfortible with it. But even til today I'm still amazed by how fast and intelligent Steptronic shifts in 99% driving environments ( 1% is that when I come to stop it shifts to M2 not M1). I simply want to say I love my automatic transmission

But there is a flaw in automatic transmission which makes ppl like me feel upset that is Torque Converter! I myself prefer an automatic driving environment with power. After searching countless hours on e46fanatics.com and this forum I c a light Steptronic BMW can also run 'very' fast like manul BMW !!

here is a list of ppl who done it
Craig NJ (328ci Steptronic) with ERT Supercharger + ( I live 10mins away from him HOW LUCKY!! :pimpin
Nick330Ci's (330ci Steptronic) with Technik Stage III/IV? kit +
xS3x CA (330ci Steptronic) with Technik Stage II/III? kit +
Shinobi (330ci Steptronic) with Dinan "everything"

It's amazing to see that all these cars show dyno #s more than a stock 330 manul and still able to enjoy their clutchless driving environment. I hope you automatic drivers like me also see the light in performance through these fanatics above.

PS:If you know more e46 step drivers with crazy mods plz list them here; I'm sure there are a lot.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention something very important though. Thanks to Amir and his effort reseraching on our transmission, he finds that there is a 259lb of torque limit our transmission. From my point of view, unless you going to Turbo or 7psi+ supercharge your car don't worry about that limit. Todd from my330i.com says he can keep up with an M3 easily with his Ess 7psi supercharge which gives about 260horsepower dynoed. I'm sure our transmission can still hold a supercharger's torque as long as the ECU isn't tuned too aggressively.

·
Registered
247 Posts
MR. Family wagon criticizing a step owner once again.lol(and yes nick I know, you HAD to get a wagon cause it's the only thing that would hold all your crap). and b4 ya flame me i like wagons:)

·
BMW Land Barge
1,376 Posts
vincentw said:
nothing wrong with slushbox...i like mine...:)
at least one of the better slushboxes out there...:lmao:
That's true. I've never been able to confuse a steptronic box into loud and scary clunking, unlike a certain Mercedes. :p

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I love my slushbox too!!!

Also, Todd's car is a manual....I don't think an s/c step 330 could hang with an m3

·
Addicted to Autocross
1,280 Posts
Quick Little Note

I'm one of the guys mentioned, and I will say that my Steptronic serves me very well on the street and I have been very successful at autocrosses with it. I use Steptronic all the time and although its not a true manual, its still better than an ordinary automatic.

That being said, all you have to do is push the car to its limits at an autocross or the track...and you will begin to notice the natural deficiencies of an automatic. Its very good for sure, but in the hands of a good driver, truly a manual tranny is needed to get the most out of a performance car.

Nevertheless, I love my car regardless and I'm glad you do too. No shame in driving a Steptronic. Slap on some mods and go to a driving school and you'd be amazed at how you can hang with alot of manual tranny cars, including ///M3s and ///MCoupes (I'm not talking straight-line here...trust me, you'd get killed).

1 - 20 of 43 Posts