BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sold my 2000 323ci w/sport package and bought a 2001 325i w/sport package. I'm fairly happy with the steptronic shifting, although I miss my stick. I'm seeing people talk about S/D mode. Is this the same as Steptronic/Manual mode? If not, how do you get the car into S/D mode? Lastly, do most of you drive with the DSC on or off?

·
Registered
21,360 Posts
to get to S D hit the shift lever to the left but do not push it up or down. ur in sport drive :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
what are the advantages of being in s/d as opposed to steptronic?
You can choose what gear the car is in when you are in "manual mode" (selected by moving the shifter over AND pressing it up or down.) The car will stay 'locked' in that gear until you hit redline or get the revs down too low...

If you miss your stick, you should get a stick. Faster and more fun :).

Drive with DSC enabled (as it is by default when you turn on the car- light off). I only disable DSC when autocrossing. If you're smooth, it should rarely if ever activate on the street anyway (light blinking). If it does, it's probably saving your a$$.

·
Addicted to Autocross
1,341 Posts
I just sold my 2000 323ci w/sport package and bought a 2001 325i w/sport package. I'm fairly happy with the steptronic shifting, although I miss my stick. I'm seeing people talk about S/D mode. Is this the same as Steptronic/Manual mode? If not, how do you get the car into S/D mode? Lastly, do most of you drive with the DSC on or off?
D - Regular drive mode
Starts in 2nd gear, probably most fuel-efficient mode, upshifts automatically

S D - Sport Drive mode
Starts in 1st gear, higher shift points, upshifts automatically

M - Manual / Steptronic mode
Starts in 2nd gear...you have to manually downshift to 1st whenever you stop. Can hold gear at any RPM, but it will still shift automatically at redline

Kickdown mode
This mode is activated when you push the accelerator to the point that you click the button at the bottom. This mode overrides all other modes, include Manual. It will downshift 1 or 2 gears to the lowest one possible and will be 100% throttle, shifting at redline.

Note: Dinan and possibly ESS tranny software can prevent automatic shifting at redline.

DSC - Dynamic Stability Control - Turn off by pushing DSC button
I can't say I know exactly how this works, but I do know that when it intervenes, your throttle gets cut electronically (flooring the pedal does nothing).

ADB - Active Differential Braking - Turn DSC completely off by pushing and holding DSC button until yellow brake light appears
With the open differential in non-M models, this system applies brakes to the wheel losing traction to try and send power to the other wheel, trying to simulate an LSD (its not the same).

There are differing opinions on this board and some people are adamant about NEVER turning DSC off. In dry conditions, I drive with DSC completely off. If you look at the situations where people with DSC off have crashed...its because they are F*CKING MORONS. Most of them try drifting in the rain, or take a curve at really highs speeds and none of them ever took any type of performance driving lessons. Its not about how fast you *think* you are. Its about KNOWING your car and what you're capable of by attending autox events, driving clinics and/or High Performance driving schools.

For a skilled driver, DSC completely off is NOT a problem. Oh, and one final thing: Stick > Steptronic...and I drive Steptronic.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
^^^ Excellent information!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
851 Posts
One more thing to add

SD Mode- The transmission down shifts sooner when slowing down or braking. This helps with braking and the big upside is as soon as you let off the brake and get on the gas you are now in a lower gear which then helps with acceleration and throttle response.

Manual = Full control over all these functions, including money shift :)

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
Not quite -- neither Step nor SMG allow downshifting further than redline.
He is correct. By manual he means NOT Step and NOT SMG. He means 5 or 6 speed 3-pedal MT.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts