E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem with their Step tranny.

I will be in Sport mode and the tranny will not upshift unless I go to manual mode. It is very sporatic and does not happen every time. It is usually when I am getting on the interstate and will not shift from 3rd to 4th gear.

What's going on???

·
Registered
215 Posts
i havent had that problem....sorry, cant help ya there.

·
Nonsense Generator
946 Posts
Sport mode has higher shift points than D mode.

If you are letting off the gas, or not pressing down very far then it will hold the gears longer than D or shifting manually with M.

I drive in M about 99.9% of the time, so what you are describing may be a different thing, but it sounds like you are experiencing the higher shift points in Sport mode.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've had a similar problem before. Just the other day, I was driving in sport mode then I put it back into regular Drive mode on the interstate. After driving for some time at ~75 mph I realized that my car wasn't shifting into 5th gear (rpm ~3500). I popped the stick into SD and back to D and it shifted. No problems since, though I remember that happening once before. I work on software, so my software mind just figures something got stuck and toggling the shifter seems to clear it up. I haven't mentioned it to the dealer, but perhaps I will next time I go in before my warrenty is up.

-Cardinal

·
www.piratecove.org
3,677 Posts
since nobody said it yet...
"your problem is that its a step to begin with"
;) :p, yeah im just messing with you, but you knew that already.

although in seriousness im gonna have to agree with what hobbes was eluding to

·
Registered Abuser
1,022 Posts
cardinal said:
I've had a similar problem before. Just the other day, I was driving in sport mode then I put it back into regular Drive mode on the interstate. After driving for some time at ~75 mph I realized that my car wasn't shifting into 5th gear (rpm ~3500). I popped the stick into SD and back to D and it shifted. No problems since, though I remember that happening once before. I work on software, so my software mind just figures something got stuck and toggling the shifter seems to clear it up. I haven't mentioned it to the dealer, but perhaps I will next time I go in before my warrenty is up.

-Cardinal
I was going to post a similar reply earlier. It definitely feels like a software issue. Or maybe even an electrical issue. I gave up driving in Auto or even Sport about two weeks after getting my car so I haven't had the problem in over a year. Doesn't seem to have caused any problems and I've never had a problem switching gears in Manual mode.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate the replies. I am still under warranty and was going to take it in. I just wanted to see what everyone thought, if anyone has had a similar problem and how it was fixed. I don't want to go to the dealer and get the "run around" for a few weeks until it is fixed.

I understand that Sport mode has higher shift points, but you shouldn't have to drive for 1-2 miles at higher RPM's for it to shift. The electronics should sense that the engine RPM's have stabilized or decreased causing it to upshift. It should only hold those high shift points during acceleration. It's similar to drilling a valve body in the old trannys (I mean OLD) to change your shift points by altering vacuum. Once you back off the throttle or stop accelerating, the vacuum decreases and the tranny shifts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts