E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Stella - 323Ci

9K views 74 replies 11 participants last post by  tks 
#1 · (Edited)
Few days ago, I purchased this very clean 2000 323Ci. The second owner bought it in 2003 with 23k miles, and its been dealer maintained its entire life. Bunch of great maintenance was done as-well -> (Clutch 20k miles ago, belts/tensioner (10k miles ago) and cooling system (100 miles ago), suspension bits too).

Wagon Thread -> Link

Specs:
133k Miles (Zero Rust)
5 Speed - Manual
Fern Green - Tan Interior
Non-Sport Package
Harmon Kardon
Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror w/ Homelink

Plans:
  • Clear Corners / LED Tails
  • AVIN Avant 4 (w/ ibus)
  • Cold/Hot Air Intake? - Injen SP1110WB (Have this in my wagon and love it) - (I love the intake sound, not really looking for performance gains lol..)
  • Fix driver side batwing (replace the top in the future - has seen some better days)
  • Try to source Tan Sport Seats
  • Retrofit to Bi-Xenon w/ AEG.
  • Power-Fold Mirrors
  • KONI Yellows w/ Eibach Springs (have this setup on my wagon and love it)
  • M3 Steering Wheel
  • Shifter Overhaul (E60 545i Shifter w/ ZHP Shift Knob)

Excited to get this vert sorted and have it as a daily driver! Its rather intriguing how different it drives to my wagon.

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive side marker light Car

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

See less See more
#5 ·
don t blame you for finding a daily to take wear off the wagon, I m doing the same, my 540ti triple black M sport I try to keep in good shape as well as the ZHP, so my daily just acquired is a 325ci coupe 5 speed, great car to drive, no rust but spent a lot of time on NYC streets so has dings.

#8 ·
First fill-up since ownership!
  • deleted amber all around and went with Eagle Eye LED Tail Lights
  • fixed broken driver side c-pillar (batwing)
  • Installed my old EONON Headunit. Had it laying around after I upgraded to a AVIN AVANT 4 in wagon. Eventually I'll upgrade to AVIN unit in Vert.
There’s still a bunch of preventative maintenance to do.
  • VCG / CCV
  • OFG / VANOS Line
  • Power Steering Lines & Reservoir
  • Guibo & CSB
  • Possibly Oil-Pan Gasket? Will literally need to brake clean the entire underside to clean it up (Its pretty gross).
As-well sort out my reverse lights that blew a fuse, time to trace the wiring for the reverse lights and see what’s causing the issue? I'm just going to temporarily put a 5amp fuse since it doesn't blow that one, so I can pass inspection lol.

Other then that she’s mint!

Secretly inside I want to put headers and borla, same as my wagon. Then I stop myself, it’s a daily.
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle registration plate

Sky Cloud Car Vehicle Tire

Driverside Batwing looked like it got mangled pretty badly. Fixed it, and now it closes properly with the top up.
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Automotive tire Sports equipment Wood

#11 ·
Few days ago, I purchased this very clean 2000 323Ci as a new daily! I wanted to conserve a bit of my 323i Wagon, so this will do! The second owner bought it in 2003 with 23k miles, and its been dealer maintained its entire life. Bunch of great maintenance was done as-well -> (Clutch 20k miles ago, belts/tensioner (10k miles ago) and cooling system (100 miles ago), suspension bits too).

Wagon Thread -> Link

Specs:
133k Miles (Zero Rust)
5 Speed - Manual
Fern Green - Tan Interior
Non-Sport Package
Harmon Kardon
Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror w/ Homelink

Plans:
  • Clear Corners / LED Tails
  • AVIN Avant 4 (w/ ibus)
  • Borla Catback (Have this setup on my wagon, and it sounds incredible! Might do headers too - like my wagon)
  • Cold/Hot Air Intake? - Injen SP1110WB (Have this in my wagon and love it) - (I love the intake sound, not really looking for performance gains lol..)
  • Fix driver side batwing (replace the top in the future - has seen some better days)
  • Try to source Tan Sport Seats
  • Retrofit to Bi-Xenon w/ AEG.
  • M56 Valve Cover
  • Style 44's (Have a set sitting in storage)
  • Power-Fold Mirrors
  • KONI Yellows w/ Eibach Springs (have this setup on my wagon and love it)
  • M3 Steering Wheel
  • Shifter Overhaul (E60 545i Shifter w/ ZHP Shift Knob)

Excited to get this vert sorted and have it as a daily driver! Its rather intriguing how different it drives to my wagon.

View attachment 948750
View attachment 948751
Very clean, i would say mint condition. How can a 22 yr old historic car look that nice?

Reactions: tbouchard991
#12 ·
Figured out why my reverse lights weren't working... Seems like there was an attempt to repair it at some point in time with some metal butt connectors? (don't do this.. pls). I resoldered majority of the harness, and yes I did cut off those horrible metal - butt connectors! To finish off, I used some fabric tape to clean up the harness. In conclusion.. I have working reverse lights again!

Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Automotive tire Cable

--

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Hood

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car

#18 ·
Ended up snagging a SW3.6 LCM from a M3 on eBay! Did I need this? Not really, but brake force display is a rather nice addition!

View attachment 949498
BFD needs also a proper Kombi (323 ones are too old and can't manage the stage3 fast blinking on ABS intervention)

keep it as much stock as possible, 323Cic are becoming really rare and due to the fact that they've been produced for only 6 months, makes them really interesting for the youngtimer market.

#14 ·
Update?
  • Swapped the Borla Cat Back from Wagon to Vert (Sounds absolutely lovely)
  • Oil Change + replaced drain plug / washer
    • Was seeping oil from drain plug, seemed like it was overtightened? cause the washer was not even round, it was an oval. Haha.
  • Upper + Lower Intake Boot Replaced and Throttle Body Gasket
  • CCV System replaced
  • Valve Cover + Vanos Unit Refresh
Next on the list:

Suspension Refresh (Struts Blow & 1 broken spring rear left)
  • KONI Yellows w/ Eibach Springs (Same as wagon)
  • Lemforder Control Arms
  • Tie Rods + Endlinks
  • RTABS

Future Plans?
  • Refresh Shifter
  • Guibo + CSB (Need to do this soon)
  • Bi-Xenon Retrofit + AEG's
  • Get tires for Style 44's
  • ZHP 5-Speed Knob
--

Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light

#15 ·
Update Part.. I lost count..

But here we go!
  • KONI Yellows w/ Eibach Springs
  • Rogue Engineering E30/E36/E46 Rear Shock Mount - Link (Highly... Highly recommend these makes removing of struts 10x easier)
  • Lemforder ZHP Control Arms (Standard Control Arms use a ball joint with plastic or rubber liner, compared to ZHP which use all metal ball joins which have less slop and last much longer)
  • Z4M FCABs (These add positive caster which increase high speed stability, they are solid rubber too)
  • Tie Rods + Endlinks
  • E46 M3 RTABS (Was going to do w/ limiters, but honestly sort of forgot to order them. oh well)
In my humble opinion this is a perfect OEM+ setup, It's a super comfy ride, and the adjustable dampening is a big plus! Very nimble on backroads. Lowers it a tasteful amount too.

Note: I will replace the original 5mm spring pad in the rear w/ XI 15mm spring pads. It'll bring the rear up a bit and give it a slight rake which is perfect. Its what im running on my Touring, and it gives a perfect ride height.

I also did retrofit Morimoto Bi-Xenon's w/ AEG's. (I can actually see something at night.)

I think last part is gearbox refresh w/ guibo and CSB and call it a day..

Probably nex thing would be a full MTech 2 Body Kit w/ a hardtop for winter and a nicer set of wheels. Maybe Ill put my Apex Wheels from my wagon on and get something nicer for wagon.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Rear Struts were toast!

Wood Font Symbol Tints and shades Artifact

Automotive lighting Vision care Sunglasses Goggles Flash photography

#23 ·
Tire Wheel Car Sky Vehicle

--

Truthfully, I haven't really driven much the Vert since I bought it in April. I mostly drove it when it rained, and occasionally on nice days to enjoy having the top down.

I honestly really struggled to enjoy driving it, It felt super bland. I think a big part of it was, I kept comparing it to my 323iT. Which to be fair, driving a bone stock 323Ci with blown struts, and worn bushings and 7 year old Sumitomo A/S tires is not going to be a "fun" driving experience, when you compare it to my mostly fully sorted E46 Touring. It's definitely not quick either considering its 3500Ibs, and you can feel the weight difference in acceleration compared to my Touring (3300Ibs). You can definitely feel that extra 200Ibs.

How did I solve this? (Quick Recap)
Complete Suspension Refresh - (Koni Yellows w/ Eibach Springs, ZHP Control Arms, Z4M FCABS, M3 RTABs, End Links, Tie-Rods)
Bolt Ons - Borla Cat Back, Injen CAI

In the middle of July (2022), I did the (Koni Yellows w/ Eibach Springs, ZHP Control Arms, Z4M FCABS, and the End-Links). Middle of August I did the (RTABs, and Tie Rods). Few days later, I went to Bavarian Specialities to get an alignment done.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to drive it that much after the alignment because few days later... I went back to University in Upstate, NY to finish my last semester. However, in the time I did drive it before the alignment and doing the (tie rods, rtabs) it was a significant upgrade, and it felt a lot more nimble and a better driving experience to a certain extent. The Style 45's on 225/50R16(7 year old Sumitomo A/S) is what limited this setup.

--

Fast Forward to a week ago, with my wagon being out of service until I fix it. It forced me to drive the vert, with that said I stole the wheels from my wagon, and the rear spring pads. (The rear was sitting a bit too low for my liking) so the XI Spring pads (15mm) helped raise the rear a smidge.

The tires are Michelin AS4 245/35R18 on a 18x8.5 ET35 wheel

Friday I left for Upstate, NY (360 Miles), and honestly the vert did fantastic! It was super smooth and zero vibrations. Soon as I took Exit 30 (Keene, NY) is where I smiled for the first time driving the vert. Driving on these windy mountain roads was an incredible feeling. The car felt planted, solid and predictable. Absolutely zero dead zone in the steering wheel, whichever way you pointed the car it went with zero delay. Im slowly opening up to the vert chassis, and starting to lowkey love it.

Personally, I think:
  • KONI Yellows, EIBACH Springs
  • ZHP Control Arms paired w/ Z4M FCABS
  • M3 RTABs

This is probably the best OEM+ Setup for a E46 Non-M.

Once I do a gearbox refresh with a factory short shifter, I am sure it will feel even better. I am considering possibly doing headers as-well to pair with the Borla Catback. It sounded incredible on my wagon, and with top down? Im sure it would be an intoxicating combo.

The biggest annoyance currently is the Comfort Seats.. I need to source Sport Seats. I forgot how horrible comfort seats are on a long drive, my lower back is rough.

#24 ·
Is there a difference when you use M3 RTABs? I did a full 90Sha poly rebuild on my sedan. I´m very satisified with it but I´m going to switch to conventional rubber RTABs + limiters, because I want to run 17inch wheels (currently on 16") and the NVH would be bad with poly RTABs (bearable on 16"). That´s why I´m asking. I´ve got a set of Meyle RTABs lying in my garage so is it worth to buy M3 ones? Thx.

#25 ·
They are a smidge stiffer than Non-M I believe. If you pair it with limiters, its the best OEM+ Upgrade. I didn't do Limiters on my Vert, since its a Daily Driver and im not doing any sort of hard driving with it.

@mega_stihl pretty much sums it up.

Experience with M3 rubber + limiters
Took it for a test drive, and IMMEDIATELY felt a difference. The rear felt way more comfortable and less harsh, and yet it didn't feel like I lost a lot of tightness/handling. This is the kind of handling/feeling I was expecting in the first place.

#26 ·
The M3's are the same durometer (64A), but they are a few millimeters larger than non-M's, causing them to be compressed more into the trailing arm. What poly bushings do you have? As there is a difference in noise (is it noice or noise?) between powerflex and strongflex. Probably because strongflex uses metal washers as limiters.
The main reason I went from strongflex to rubber was the noise (I do like it quiet)

#29 ·
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Snow

(First Snow of 11/16/2022)
--
Update-Ish?

Since 10/14/2022 i've put 3,000 miles-ish on Stella, and averaged about 25mpg. (decent mpg, considering its a 3.46 paired with a 5-speed Getrag).

This is the first time I have driven Stella "long-term" since buying it in April of 2022. I only drove it on occasion because truthfully my wagon is a much more exciting driving experience. With that said, with driving it 3000 miles, I figured out all its quirks, and few things I need to fix.

Besides the quirks and issues, The suspension refresh feels fantastic! It doesn't feel like a boat anymore, and is quite a joy to drive on backroads, its super nimble!

I quickly learned how much I hate the getrag trans. (I might be a bit too harsh, considering i am comparing it to a ZF 5 Speed in my wagon which has all new detents and springs with new bushings and a 545i shifter.) It feels super sloppy, and I have missed second a few times because I thought i was second but nope gear grind. This might be in reason of very worn bushings, and a longer shift throw compared to the 545i shift throw on my wagon.

Hopefully new bushings, gear oil refresh, and a 545i shift lever paired with a ZHP knob will help it feel a bit more notchy and enjoyable to drive!

The clutch is also not enjoyable, apparently it was replaced at 100k. I am not entirely sure with which one it was replaced with but its horrible. Im honestly considering replacing it with a Valeo Single Mass Flywheel Conversion Kit. Its what I currently have in my wagon and I love it!

The Comfort Seats.. I genuinely forgot how terrible comfort seats are on an hour drive. I am currently in the process of sourcing some tan sport seats which will make the driving experience so much better. This also pairs with the sport steering wheel, definitely on the hunt for a M3 Steering Wheel (which i might just steal the one from my wagon and get a nicer one for the wagon). Its astonishing how much more comfy M3 Steering Wheels are compared to the stock/sport one.

Lastly... The brakes.. Oh goodness. I forgot how horrible 323i brakes are. I'll probably upgrade to Z32 Calipers like my wagon with EBC Yellowstuff Pads. Might be a bit overkill but it'll be a nice addition considering the extra weight from the top.

Oh.. I did aquire headers which will go on once I do my gearbox refresh. Even with the borla exhaust installed.. I felt like it was still too quiet.Super excited for next summer to have the top down and enjoy the glorious sound of the M52TUB.

--

Other Issues I noticed:
HVAC Unit - Faulty? It could be set to 67*-70* and it is insanely toasty in the car. Not sure its a Vert Quirk? However, I will take my HVAC Unit from my wagon, and test to see if that fixes the issue.

Passenger Window - Window doesn't lower enough when closing the door, solution is to press on the window when closing the door or rolling down the window and roll it back up. Its something ill have to hunt cause its a bit annoying.

That's about it.

#30 ·
The brakes.. Oh goodness. I forgot how horrible 323i brakes are. I'll probably upgrade to Z32 Calipers like my wagon with EBC Yellowstuff Pads. Might be a bit overkill but it'll be a nice addition considering the extra weight from the top.
Oem sizes are not that bad, consider that 323Cic has the same setup of 328Ci (300 - 274) , i've recently upgraded to 300 front (325) + braided lines + EBC Blue allround + dot5.1 and WOW !!

Other Issues I noticed:
HVAC Unit - Faulty? It could be set to 67*-70* and it is insanely toasty in the car. Not sure its a Vert Quirk? However, I will take my HVAC Unit from my wagon, and test to see if that fixes the issue.
Windshield and fotweel duct are hot while dash ones are ok, no matter how you set the temp?
it's the exchanger valve ko

Passenger Window - Window doesn't lower enough when closing the door, solution is to press on the window when closing the door or rolling down the window and roll it back up. Its something ill have to hunt cause its a bit annoying.
try to reset/re-adapt the movement: roll the window down andf keep the button pressed for 3 sec, then roll it up and keep the button for other 3 sec, do this a couple of time an check if the window properly lowers

#34 ·
I remember when I bought my 323Cic back in April... I told myself.. *I'll keep it stock, I won't go toooo crazy, its a daily"

Yeaaaah about that... 😂

Its comical at this point, because the vert is honestly being built identical to the wagon.

--

Speaking of which I have great news for the Vert!

I sourced a ZF 5-Speed for 700$ (Comes with linkage and driveshaft). It'll get all new detents, shift seal, and bearing guide tube and pair that with a E60 545i Shifter. I'll be installing a set of headers as-well, which will pair super nicely with the Borla Cat Back I currently have.

Honestly just some sport seats, and AVIN AVANT 4 head unit and it'll be perfect.

--

Anyone want a Getrag 250G for 500$?

Includes:
Driveshaft
Entire Shift Linkage w/ Shift Knob
Clutch & Flywheel (Apparently there was a new clutch put in at 100k?) However, I won't be able to confirm until the trans comes out.

--

Next summer is going to be a blast!

#36 ·
Not planning any future upgrades for HP/TQ.

My biggest gripe with the S5D 250G is how crappy it feels. Probably a big reason it feels a bit crappy is the fact it has very worn bushings (I am guessing, they are original from 2000?). If I recall as-well, you can't do detents on a S5D 250G. (So it'll have a bit of slop even with shifter rebuild).

My 323i Touring has a S5D 320Z (ZF 5-Speed). It had all new detents, shift bushings, and a OEM Short Shifter (E60). It feels absolutely incredible, and feels solid. Its an utter blast rowing through gears in my wagon. The vert on the other hand? The S5D 250G feels like trash.

Setup on my wagon:

• SHIFT REBUILD KIT (condorspeedshop)
  • STAINLESS STEEL BRAIDED CLUTCH LINE (condorspeedshop) [Delete CDV as-well]
  • E60 Shift Lever (OEM Short Shifter) [FCPEuro]
  • ZHP Weighted Knob
  • Fresh Detents
  • Valeo SMF Conversion

I personally feel like this is one of the better feeling shift setups for a ZF.

--

Looking forward to it!

#40 ·
Acquired a ZF 5-Speed today w/ driveshaft. ($700)

Cylinder Gas Auto part Machine Engineering

--

I've been daily driving the Vert, since I've put the wagon in storage. Its been great, not really any issues. Only issue so far, is both front wheel speed sensors decided to stop working, but it cleared up a few hours later. Its been fine since, so.... I'll replace those sensors eventually.

I did get a stubby antenna as-well and it looks so much better!

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Plant

#48 ·
Updates?

Finally hit 140k last weekend! I put about 6,200 miles in my ownership with pretty much "zero issues".

I found an OEM wind deflector on eBay for 350$ with the original carrying case. This will be a great addition for upcoming spring/summer.

Other then that, I am aiming for Mid-April for ZF 5-Speed Swap, Headers to pair with the Borla Exhaust and a few other misc things.

Pretty much.. All the big service on this car will be done. Going to be a fun vert, I think!

Last on the list would be:
  • Sport Seats
  • BBK from Partshopmax
  • MTech 2 Bumpers w/ M3 Mirrors and Hardtop
  • M56 Valve Cover
  • AVIN Head Unit
  • Rear Subframe

#49 ·
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Scored a set of 650Ci Sport Seats for $380 w/ Lumbar!

Passenger Side has a dead Longitudinal Seat Motor (This is what makes the seat move forward and back). I had to steal the driver side motor and install it on the passenger side so I could move the seat forward to remove the 3 bolts that hold it to the floor. (Took about an hour just to remove the old dead motor, because of how much lack of space and disgusting this car was).

These will clean up super nice, and be a great addition to the vert.

#51 · (Edited)
I ended up cleaning them today, and they look significant better.

Next up, is using a wire wheel/brush and cleaning up the seat rails (they are a bit rusty) and painting them to clean them up.

I do need to order some dye w/ some crack filler, and they'll be like new.

Completely forgot I had a spare seat of sedan seats laying around, so I'll steal a motor off of that so the passenger seat is able to move forward and backwards w/o issue.