BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my car a few weeks ago everything is mostly good... however at low speed as I'm coming to a stop, sometimes it will have a tendency to veer to one side if I let go of the wheel. I'm talking about a quarter rotation of the wheel... it will do that sometimes if I let go as I'm coming to a stop.

At higher speed though the car steers straight... only seems to be when coming to a stop.

Any ideas? Still have warranty so prob take it in, but like the other guy wondering if anybody has any ideas what's wrong before I take it in.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
alignment
If it was alignment wouldn't that make it veer to one side when I'm driving faster?
check rotors and brakes
Front-ends/braking and alignment issues are complex things and not easy to diagnose remotely. (ask me how I know). If you've got some sort of warranty coverage, I'd just take the car in and tell them what it's doing and let them figure it out. Could be an alignment, uneven brake wear, or both.

·
Registered
5 Posts
does it do this on any road surface or does it happen mostly at intersections? if it's intersections mainly, then it's because there are grooves from big rigs and heavy trucks. They create grooves(a crow) in the asphalt and your tires are following the grooves. It happens sometimes on cars with wide wheels/tires and it's normal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
air

Sounds simple but definitely check your air pressure. If your air pressure is low on one side the car will pull in that direction and the amount will increase at slower speeds and higher braking applications.

Check it out!

P.S. High profile tires tend to show slow leaks much less than larger tires

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
i agree with lawrence 1 even since i put my wide tires on as i brake i steer to either side only when i brake at the intersection ......if you have wider tires//rims?

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
My bad on not reading the original post closely enough to notice the problem wa only during brake application. While a poor alignment can aggravate this sort of problem, iit's unlikely to be causing it. A poor alignment can aggravate the tendency to tramline, but you would notice that at all speeds, not just braking.

Verifying you've got correct and even air pressure is good first step.

After that, the most important question is whether or not it always pulls to the same side. When you check this, make sure the issue is independent of road surface, i.e. if it always pulls left in one spot but always pulls right in another, then you may not have an issue at all. If so, you are probably looking at brake issue; if not, you are probably looknig at a control arm bushing issue.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah it seems to happen only at intersections and not at random points in the road... and yes my tires are lower profile than stock cause I have 18'' wheels.

Will check my tire pressure tomorrow anyway.

·
Registered
18,541 Posts
Sounds simple but definitely check your air pressure. If your air pressure is low on one side the car will pull in that direction and the amount will increase at slower speeds and higher braking applications.

Check it out!

P.S. High profile tires tend to show slow leaks much less than larger tires
:blink:

if his car is going straight as an arrow on the highway when driving, how would it be the air?

and i'm pretty sure that the direction it pulls in is increased as speed increases.......... my car pulls a little bit to the left, but you can't notice it at 10mph, you can at 70mph........

·
/// Limitless
3,504 Posts
If it's always pulling to the same side, air pressure, brakes, uneven tread wear.

If it switches sides randomly, control arm bushings, steering guibo...

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was tramlining from my lower profile tire with my 18s. Disappeared after I put my 17'' winters on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts