E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 2000 323i with the 4 spoke wheel. I just drove a 2002 330i loaner that also had a 4 spoke wheel. However, the new 4 spoke wheel was much thicker and more solid feeling. Is there any way to swap the wheel? If so, will my current airbag work?

·
Registered
134 Posts
This is intriging... I wondered about this also. I saw some 3ers at LA auto show that had 4 spoke airbags that were great feeling. does anyone know if these are 2 stage airbags? either way, I wonder if my single stage sqare airbag would fit on them.
The hunt for new steering wheel is really wearing me out!!

·
Alpha Male
6,560 Posts
abefroman said:
Does anyone have the part number for the thicker 4-spoke?

BTW, nice job coldintake :)
2001 330i square airbag steering wheel is: 32 34 6 753 947

2000 323i has a different p/n so I'm assuming that's the number you're looking for.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey I found out that 2002 4 spoke may have same problems because they're 2-stage also. you can swap airbags fine, but you'll have problem with connectors
bummer.

·
Alpha Male
6,560 Posts
AC schiznitzer said:
Hey I found out that 2002 4 spoke may have same problems because they're 2-stage also. you can swap airbags fine, but you'll have problem with connectors
bummer.
Shouldn't.

I put a round airbag (2 stage) into my 99 323 with the triangle airbag (single stage) with no problems.

·
Registered
134 Posts
hey abefroman, what are you looking to spend to change your wheel? I got an idea- will let you know if it works or not

·
Alpha Male
6,560 Posts
abefroman said:
CLem,

Do you think the stage 1 square airbag would work with the newer wheel?
It doesn't matter if the airbag is stage 1 or 2. What matters is that airbag fits into the space for the airbag in the wheel.

the concern between the stage1/stage2 airbags is the wiring in the car which seems to be a non issue since a few people have already done the swap from stage 1 to stage 2 airbags including myself.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
AC- Don't know what I want to spend, just kicking around the idea. Let me know what you come up with. Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts