E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I have been having this steering wheel shimmy and thumping sound when going 55-80 mph on the highway, it all started after hitting a pothole here in this "great" city's roads. Anyway just a little background info on the suspension front control arms(meyle HD) and poly-bushings were replaced, tierods were replaced (meyle) wheel alignment done, before the pothole incident, front rotors were machined by indy which i thought was a waste i would have just replaced them, brand new tires all around and were balanced, (thumping noise was there before the new tires)and I have this annoying squeal when I make right turns sounds like its coming from the rear. Any thoughts anyone :yikes:

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Seems like you've refreshed most of the suspension components...However, have you checked your hub bearings?
That would be the part I look into. If you need help, just check my vids on front wheel bearing noises/diagnosis. The rears are probably having similar issues...

You might also have your rims checked to make sure they have not bent in any way.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Fronts were done along with the front sways rims checked out ok. The rear wheel bearings haven't been done, how do you check the rears hold 12-6 and move the wheel? Thanks

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,772 Posts
...and pothole hits have gotten me on the inside rim more than the outside rim...and wheels can balance (according to the machine) but not be balanced.

Slowly rotate wheel with you looking at rims for a hop...looking for a flat spot.

If you find it, move that wheel to your rear and the vibration might disappear.

With your choice of bushings, you'll be feeling more of the little things, so I hope really tiny things don't bug you a lot, because our car is a vibration machine!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...and pothole hits have gotten me on the inside rim more than the outside rim...and wheels can balance (according to the machine) but not be balanced.

Slowly rotate wheel with you looking at rims for a hop...looking for a flat spot.

If you find it, move that wheel to your rear and the vibration might disappear.

With your choice of bushings, you'll be feeling more of the little things, so I hope really tiny things don't bug you a lot, because our car is a vibration machine!
Yeah I know especially with the poly's wheels checked out ok I took it to a rim repair place and spun the wheels the wheels weren't bad enough to cause a vibration or thump gonna look at everything, control arms, bushings, tierods, sways, even the rotors and calipers (could be binding) I will report back and thanks again guys.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Found the culprit looked at everything spun the front wheels everything checked out ok. Took her on the highway going about 60-70 wheel thump and steering shimmy again. pulled off the highway noticed left front drivers wheel was very very hot hotter than all the others. So got back on the highway and noticed a groan ie (wheel bearing) in the same area and when I was off the highway driving in local streets i let off the accelarator and let the car roll its like the car wouldn't roll till i gave it some gas hence the sticking caliper on that side so my conclusion is that "@#$ing" pothole killed my wheel bearing and probably did some damage to my caliper as well. Ordered the parts today will report back results. Thanks again everyone for their input.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Replaced the front left caliper and wheel bearing bled the brakes no more sticking caliper I got rid of 80% of the shimmy the rest lies in the front rotors being that the caliper on the left side was sticking the pads are now wearing unevenly in the fronts and that left rotor is already blueish. I already ordered the rotors, pads and sensor. I went with Brembo rotors and Akebono ceramics I'm tired of the ATE rotors and the ATE pads along with the annoying brake dust, will report back on hopefully the final results.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Spot on d max the problem were the rims two front bent rims they kept checking good with the 2 different wheel balances I did. I looked at them real close when the guy was spinning them on the machine and saw the wobble and then he put the weights I told him hold on hold on. Told him to spin it again and saw the inside wobble like a bobble head, luckily he had four of the same OEM rims in the shop I offered to buy two as i only needed two. Long story short he agreed to sell them to me and balanced them for me. Those two rims were round and true took the car on the highway I reached 80 -85mph and what a difference no shimmy no wobble 100% fix. Thanks guys for your help!

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
great stuff!! It's all because of the bent rim. I have this problem for 2 month now. Too poor to buy new rims. You must have spent thousands so far on this problem!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
great stuff!! It's all because of the bent rim. I have this problem for 2 month now. Too poor to buy new rims. You must have spent thousands so far on this problem!
No not really just balancing and rebalancing, two refinished rims for $150 mounting and balancing included. The suspension wasn't the issue oh and one rebuilt caliper about 70 bucks. The 150 was money well spent for safety and piece of mind. Just try to get your hands on a good set of used wheels preferebly the same ones.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts