BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short of swapping it out for an m3 steering wheel or getting "Wheelskins" (which I hear are no good), is there any way for me to increase the thickness of the steering wheel in my '99 e46 323i sport package? I find it a bit thin and would like something more akin to the M3 wheel. Alas, though, I can't swing the costs of a new wheel and airbag.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I've been thinking about doing something similar, as a DIY project for fun. A friend of mine is a mechanical engineer, and into car modding. We've been talking about creating our own steering wheel "skin" type snap on mod that adds to the thickness of the wheel itself. So far it's still in the very early stages of design, as we're still hunting down materials. I prefer a spongy add on, ala alcantara type material, but he wants a solid grip, fiberglass type mold. We're still debating it out which would be easier to build...

Personally, I think too many ppl out there have the M3 steering wheel. It'd be cool to have the old sports package 3 spoke steering wheel with a thicker grip, maybe a 3/9 o'clock thumb rest as well.:D

edit: I just realized I haven't really answered anything for you. just thought I'd share an idea I had.

·
Is NOT A Mechanic
5,882 Posts
so funny this is coming up... I've been trying to figure out the exact same project. My current best idea involves wrapping portions of the wheel with alcantara, and securing it with a very top secret fastening system that will be easy to install/remove, and is not velcro or snaps or anything cheesy like that.

Whoever comes up with a prototype first, please share with the group. I will, if my idea works out...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think your idea sounds excellent. I like the alcantra (spongy) approach, not the solid fiberglass. this is just what I had in mind!
Please let me know how it develops.
thanks very much

·
2 point five 3 two 3 i
3,922 Posts
I've wanted something like this too!
sounds interesting. keep me posted on it.
if it could look something like the Victor wheels, that would be dope. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I'd just like to add that the steering wheel in BMW uses in the "sport package" pretty much SUCKS as a "sport" steering wheel. It's a cool looking wheel but it's thinner than some of the cheesy Pontiac, thick, steering wheels out there. Heck, there are a lot of other "lower end" cars that have nicer feeling steering wheels. I don't get why BMW choose this rather thin design for a "sport" package.

If you can come up with something, I'm interestd. However, I want leather wrapped. I was considering cutting some foam to fill in the narrow areas and then wrapping it all with a 2 tone (red/black) leather wheel cover like BAV auto sells.

TT

·
Registered
96 Posts
Not sure this is what you're looking for, but my kart's wheel is falling apart. I was going to buy a new one because it was also very thin-rimmed and I don't like that.

But what I'm going to do instead is wrap the narrow areas with synthetic cork bicycle handlebar tape, then wrap leather over the top of it all. If you wet the leather cover before you put it on, it will stretch a bit when you are applying it, then shrink tight when it dries.

I've done one before and it was pretty easy to do. It's generally not as pretty as the factory jobs, but it worked well.

BTW, I agree with SST that the BMW SP wheel is a weak effort.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
:) Actually, the sport package is the BEST offer BMW has as far as cotent for dollar. I've got a nice drop with the sport suspension, better handling, wider tires, bigger and cooler looking rims, and seats much improved over the standard issue. A very worthy package versus the "premium" sissy package.
Ha! :)

TT

·
Registered
24 Posts
What's wrong with Wheelskins? I added one to my SP wheel to make it thicker, laced it using two laces and a baseball stitch -- it fits tight, looks and feels excellent. It isn't as good as real M3 wheel but cost under $40 delivered from DC Car Care at http://www.dccarcare.com/wsorig.html. These people have sold Wheelskins for a long time and are great to deal with.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've thought of that too but ended up buying a M3 steering wheel ... it's on its way btw :D I will do tests on my current sports steering wheel when it comes off and if I have time ... anyways ... do you guys know what's the material at the 2:00/10:00 position of the ACS steering wheel ??

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
JasM said:
What's wrong with Wheelskins? I added one to my SP wheel to make it thicker, laced it using two laces and a baseball stitch -- it fits tight, looks and feels excellent. It isn't as good as real M3 wheel but cost under $40 delivered from DC Car Care at http://www.dccarcare.com/wsorig.html. These people have sold Wheelskins for a long time and are great to deal with.
I want to do a 2 tone red/black but I'm wondering there are any negative effects to the OEM leather as it sits under the wheelskin?
Will the OEM leather wear quickly under the wheelskin leather?

TT

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Arabz_0wn said:
HaMaNn StreERiNg WhEeLs. enuf said
i aM sOrRy bUt oNlY LiTtLe kIdS tYpE liKE tHaT aNd iT's bLoOdY aNNoyInG!!! :ben:
(just trying to make a point -- took me forever to type that out, sheesh...)

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
I'd be certainly interested in an alcantara type of steering wheel skin. Please keep us up to date. And for those of you who have steering wheels skins, please post pics!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts