BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My steering wheel starting shaking only upon braking. Normal driving at all speeds and it's perfect. Going in Friday for normal service (oil change) and I'll mention it to the service tech. I'm guessing the wheels just need to be rebalanced. But I thought there would also be shaking of the steering wheel when driving also, not just braking. Could it be the brakes?

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
yeah, warped rotors
my steerin wheel shakes sometimes too.... if i had warped rotors would they shake all the time, or just sometimes...
and how bad would it shake?

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,376 Posts
Almost certain it's warped rotors. My brother's 3 month old CL with 1750 miles on it does the same thing...already!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Warped rotors for sure, can you also feel it in the pedal also!!!

On my car , the steering shaked abit upon braking (front) and at the same time you could feel it through the pedal..(rear)

Do you ride the brakes alot, I know its a common problem with our cars just thought I would ask!! as my dealer tried to say it was my fault ..

goodluck

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
i used to have a clucking sound, to really think about it, i don't hear it anymore.

·
Rogue Engineering
2,478 Posts
My mom just had this identical problem with the X5 and it turned out it was not the brakes but something with the steering system...It could be that too...

·
Like school on a Sunday...
794 Posts
Same thing in my dad's 530

·
Registered
417 Posts
1. warped rotor ('s)
2. wheel balance
3. alignment
4. check the tire pressures?

one or all of the above could be the contributor?

·
Registered
98 Posts
NO NO NO, if its under light breaking and only shakes about 1 second in duration, thats not rotor warpage. Rotor warp will shake your steering the whole time you hit the brakes. I have the same thing too since about 12000 miles. It more pronounce at higher speed. You don't have to hit it hard just tap and there you go the shakes (back and fourth; left then right) notice also that there is not pull to one side. ITS WEIRD GUYS, Please let me know for the X5 and the 530 that has someting to do with the steering. I am an engineer myself and like to know why and what happend to it.
Thanks guys

·
Registered
109 Posts
Perhaps you have bad or worn front control arm bushings..
I have the same problem and found out it was the worn bushings.. I got it replaced and the steering wheel jerk is gone.
Hope that helps.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts