BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Okay, i've got a 125k mile e46 323ci.

I have a problem where my car veers quite sharply to the left, and i have to hold the wheel tightly to drive the car at all...

I know my left LCAB is shot, as when i try to shake the left wheel, i can see movement there.

However, when i shake the right hand wheel, the actual wheel seems to shake on the hub. I cant see any other movement in the suspension setup - just the wheel moving on the hub.

Can anyone advice what this is likely to be...?

Cheers
Chris.

·
Registered
26,427 Posts
Hi all,

Okay, i've got a 125k mile e46 323ci.

I have a problem where my car veers quite sharply to the left, and i have to hold the wheel tightly to drive the car at all...

I know my left LCAB is shot, as when i try to shake the left wheel, i can see movement there.

However, when i shake the right hand wheel, the actual wheel seems to shake on the hub. I cant see any other movement in the suspension setup - just the wheel moving on the hub.

Can anyone advice what this is likely to be...?

Cheers
Chris.
Uh, loose lug nuts? That is, if it's shaking on the hub.

You have to get your lug nut wrench out and see if the lugs are tight--85 lb. ft for mine...now. The manual had 77 lb ft...but I ignore that a little.

Then, you have to look under car for stuff and not just wiggle tire...something is going on...and I hope it's just loose lugs...but get good flashlight, maybe take photos of all suspension components and look at boots over ball joints...as in, if failing ball joint on hub...would feel like wheel is loose, but whole hub could be. That doesn't sound like just cab to me.

I don't know what you know...but if not much about cars...go to your regional forum...someone there might be able to steer you closer to a solution...or recommend a good shop...but if you're that insecure, take mass transit until you get this sorted out...coz when you're scared to drive in a car...that's a really good sign that you should be!

Doug

1 - 4 of 4 Posts