E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was replacing my steering wheel with a new one. Took the wheel off and my slip ring came apart with the ribbon hanging. How do you re wrap this ribbon around the slip ring? Anyone know? I'm losing my mind trying to figure this out!
Here's a picture:

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Good Lord!!! I have never seen that happen. Hope you get it fixed. I do have a slip ring in the garage for sale if you need one. Looks like the slip ring/collar came apart some how.

EDIT: And you have an M3.....what wheel were you swapping to? Curious?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much for the slip ring? I would pay for over night shipping too. My wheel was worn so I bought a brand new smg wheel. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I fixed it and it wasn't easy... you have to leave a few loops at the end of the spool... then count the rotations before slack runs out and center it on the wheel with the wheels facing straight. blah that sucked.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
The slip ring I have is for a non SMG paddle shift wheel. Will not work with the paddle shifters, or I would have given you a great deal on it. I think you can buy a new one from BMW for around $100 or so, depending on the dealer. Check out Tisher. Looks like you need one quick though, local dealer is probably the best bet. That one you have split in half. Never see that happen. I do feel for you though. Hope it works out. If you need a non-SMG one....let me know.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Ya, hopefully the clock spring wasn;t affected. You'll know when you try to make a hard left or right turn. If there's a clock spring issue, then the turn signal indicators will not work properly. If that's the case, I have an available slipring I removed from my 330Xi when I changed to M3 SMG Paddle wheel.... Works great! Let me know if you need it.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think it's going to be good guys. I've cut the wheel all the way both ways and it gets there fine. I wont be driving the car for a few days because of the snow here in Boston so we'll find out if it stays working soon. Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I think it's going to be good guys. I've cut the wheel all the way both ways and it gets there fine. I wont be driving the car for a few days because of the snow here in Boston so we'll find out if it stays working soon. Thanks for the help everyone.
get my private message?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts