BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This topic may have been covered already but I could not find anything recent when I searched.

There is a subtle clicking noise coming from the steering wheel when it is ever so slightly moved in either direction. The movement does not require the front tires to be moved. I did some research and from what I gathered, the noise was being caused by the steering coupling assembly represented by #2 in the picture below:

Steering coupling assembly

I had this replaced today and the clicking noise continues. Grrr!

I clearly replaced the wrong part. The only thing left to replace is the lower joint assembly (#1). Can anyone confirm if this will actually remedy the noise? I don't want to keep throwing money at this issue but I do want it gone because it drives me nuts!

Video of clicking steering wheel

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
616 Posts
This topic may have been covered already but I could not find anything recent when I searched.

There is a subtle clicking noise coming from the steering wheel when it is ever so slightly moved in either direction. The movement does not require the front tires to be moved. I did some research and from what I gathered, the noise was being caused by the steering coupling assembly represented by #2 in the picture below:

Steering coupling assembly

I had this replaced today and the clicking noise continues. Grrr!

I clearly replaced the wrong part. The only thing left to replace is the lower joint assembly (#1). Can anyone confirm if this will actually remedy the noise? I don't want to keep throwing money at this issue but I do want it gone because it drives me nuts!

Video of clicking steering wheel

Thank you in advance.
Steering wheel loose? The center bolt that holds it to the column?

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
3,584 Posts
There are a lot of parts and pieces in the steering column assembly. Most notably the shaft itself # 1 is designed to collapse is the accident forces are enough.
I would not order replace just yet. Rather I would disconnect the battery (SRS system) and remove all the covers. Repeat the wiggle test and see if you can get closer to where the noise is coming from.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are a lot of parts and pieces in the steering column assembly. Most notably the shaft itself # 1 is designed to collapse is the accident forces are enough.
I would not order replace just yet. Rather I would disconnect the battery (SRS system) and remove all the covers. Repeat the wiggle test and see if you can get closer to where the noise is coming from.
This is good advice. I will give this a shot.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Probably the turn signal for the self canceling. Mine clicks if the signal is on and doesn't when it's off.
I was hoping it would be this simple. I played around with the turn signal and there was no change in either direction. I also played around with tilting and telescoping the steering wheel. No change in any position. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2004 E46 325i Touring 5-speed maunual
2 Posts
Thanks! This is certainly possible. I can remove the bolt and retorque.
I had the same problem with my 2004 325i touring, When I retrofitted an OEM M3 steering wheel in my car the clicking noise went away. I'm not sure where it came from. I think the stock steering wheel wasn't seated correctly. and the bolt was way too tight.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
3,584 Posts
Unbeknownst to many is that many of the pieces in the steering column assemblies require tension (steering wheel installed and tight) to bring some compression to the myriad of pieces in there.

My old Chevy Suburban had an issue with a similar noise and GM had a special grease to be applied between the two halves (sliding in an accident) of the upper rod that passes through from the engine bay to the interior.

I can't remember if the BMW lower coupling was unbolted down low, would one be able to extend it out some and apply some grease between the two sliding (?) shafts?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the same problem with my 2004 325i touring, When I retrofitted an OEM M3 steering wheel in my car the clicking noise went away. I'm not sure where it came from. I think the stock steering wheel wasn't seated correctly. and the bolt was way too tight.
Interesting! The previous owner of my car retrofitted an OEM M3 steering wheel as well. I have owned it for over 3 years now. The noise was not there when I purchased it but who knows what may have happened along the way.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unbeknownst to many is that many of the pieces in the steering column assemblies require tension (steering wheel installed and tight) to bring some compression to the myriad of pieces in there.

My old Chevy Suburban had an issue with a similar noise and GM had a special grease to be applied between the two halves (sliding in an accident) of the upper rod that passes through from the engine bay to the interior.

I can't remember if the BMW lower coupling was unbolted down low, would one be able to extend it out some and apply some grease between the two sliding (?) shafts?
This is certainly good insight. I will start with the easiest solution first - remove, replace, and torque to factory spec and go from there. Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts