BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey,

This is my first post here. Anyhow:

I am getting ready to buy my first BMW. I am looking at a 2004 330xi with 60k miles on it. Everything seems to be ok in the car except for one thing.

During light braking at approx 55 mph (not the only speed it occurs), the steering wheel shakes very strong and then quits when you get more brake power behind it. The seller just replaced the brakes a few thousand miles a go, but hasnt driven much at all this season. He took it to the BMW dealer (it is a CPO) and they are saying that a wheel rebalance and rotation should take car of it. I think that is BS though because that shouldnt cause this issue. That would be a constant vibration a highway speeds.

My assume is warped rotors, control arm bushings, or CV joint based on some research. Does this make sense, or does anyone have any experience with this issue that they were able to fix.

Thanks a lot. I look forward to many more posts on the forum.

-Brian

·
Registered
186 Posts
I would say its the rotors. If he just changed the brakes, ask him if the rotors were replaced or turned. If he says he just had the pads changed, then the uneven rotors are rubbing against a true surface on the pads and they are causing vibration. If he says he had the rotors replaced or turned, put it on a lift and check the front end components.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Exact same problem here. Thought it was brakes at first but double checked everything there, CVs are either new or recently checked, rotors are brand new and I checked them for any signs of warping, rotated tires front->rear to check for any balance issues and didn't come up with anything. I'm 90% sure that is is the LCABs (car has 75k on it) and/or ball-joints. Going to be replacing them as soon as [email protected] emails me back.

Anyone else have any ideas/confirmations?
(subscribed for help)

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
lcabs would give off a vibration even during normal driving not just under braking.. ?

ive got an xi with the slight vibration randomly from like 30-60 mph but not under braking. any ideas? thinkin cabs or balljoints (i hear they go fast on xi's cause of the extra front weight)

·
Registered
607 Posts
yep, it was the LCABs. Powerflex it up. Unfortunately, bimmerworld pre-pressed them backwards for me so time to shoot off some more emails.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts