E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get "shimmy" in my steering wheel when applying light pressure to the brakes. If I put more pressure it seems to go away... Brake rotors are relatively new but thinking it could be warping..... Wouldn't I get that shaking no matter how much pressure is applied though?

Car is 2003 330ci with 110K, runs flawlessly and has been well maintained. Any other known steering issues with this car?

Also, tend to pull a little to left and will be having alignment checked... but maybe its a related issue....

Interested to heasr opinions....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mark, thats what i figure too. Just wondering if these cars have any steering column issues or ball joints etc.. around the 100K mark...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same issue. New rotors/pads here too. Changed out the control arm bushings and still the issue is there.

Car pulls to the right. I'm thinking it is an alignment issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think this is a symptom of bad control arms / bushings. They usually have to be replaced around the 100K mile mark anyway. If the rotor is warped, you would feel it in the brake pedal.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The e46 control arm bushing do go bad around 100K. and the symptom is identical to warped rotors. Take a look and double check them, if loose change them. If you need to change the CAB, might as well replace the arm since the ball joint in that is most likely gone bad.

Having said that, i've had problem with new rotors in the past that wore uneven very quickly !! found out to be cheaply made. easy test would be to take them off and have them resurfaced.

·
Registered
167 Posts
forgot to mention...I completely agree with Citrustech. warped rotors would feel in the pedal....control arm bushing you feel in steering wheel

·
Registered
111 Posts
I replaced the CAB's on my car about 1,000 miles ago. Yes, you CAN and probably Will feel a vibration in the steering wheel if the front rotors are warped. If you feel a vibration without braking, then it is something else.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,983 Posts
I get "shimmy" in my steering wheel when applying light pressure to the brakes. If I put more pressure it seems to go away... Brake rotors are relatively new but thinking it could be warping..... Wouldn't I get that shaking no matter how much pressure is applied though?

Car is 2003 330ci with 110K, runs flawlessly and has been well maintained. Any other known steering issues with this car?

Also, tend to pull a little to left and will be having alignment checked... but maybe its a related issue....

Interested to heasr opinions....
That light shimmy could be all of what's been said, or it could just be that the rotors weren't installed properly...and brakes otherwise not attended to...as in...

Clean all mating surfaces well...use sanding disk on inside wheel, rotor inside and out, and hub surface. Light anti-seize around hub on on hub/wheel, lightly...so it doesn't get onto lugnuts...and then, torque evenly.

The pulling could be alignment...could be bushings and alignment, could be tire pressure alone. At speed, you'd get a pull if one tire was off even a 1/4 lb. Could be a bad tire/bent wheel too...and it doesn't have to be in the front, just coz you feel it in the steering wheel. Our cars are tight...so any vibration will be transmitted, to some extent, throughout car.

Oh, also, if you haven't read up on 'bedding brake pads' suggest you do, because that vibration might just be deposits on rotor because you don't use your brakes hard enough when you use them. Finally, sorry, but rotors really don't warp as often as you'd think from reading around here...the deposits might make you think of a warp, but you'd have to have a variety of things be wrong to actually get that hunk of metal to warp...unlikely!

Doug

·
Registered
673 Posts
Amen on the bedding. Search online for bedding procedures but basically it's get up to about 65, brake with about 20% braking effort down to 30 or so, back up to 65 and brake again with about 30% pressure repeat but increase pressure by another 10% repeat until you are applying 80% pressure.
Drive to let brakes cool and you are done.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts