E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2001 330ci with the bosted steerinng. My car is going in this week (hopefully Wed) to get the steering upgraded. It will get the stiffer feel put back in.

In 2001 the 3 series all got lighter feeling steering, which took away some road feel. It was very badly accepted and the following year BMW changed it back.

Well I finally got BMWNA to pay for the upgrade/fix to old steering.

I wanted to see how has done this and want I should expect. Anything to test and watch out for?

Thanks,

·
Registered
87 Posts
How did you go about getting the Retrofit? What are the steps?

I really want to do it to mine as well. I hate my over-boosted steering.

·
Registered
182 Posts
it should take about 1/2 to 3/4 of a day. took longer for me b/c the alignment rack broke. so it stayed over night.

i got this done about a month and a half ago. love it. that floaty feeling around corners or when going fast is gone. you get A LOT more feedback from the road. just make sure they get the alignment right. my car is going in next week b/c after they did the retrofit it started pulling/drifting left.

·
Obey my dog
2,575 Posts
how long did you have to wait? i have been on the list since 5/27/03... They told me between 4-6 months and 6 months is almost over :sad:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CWE46 said:
How did you go about getting the Retrofit? What are the steps?

I really want to do it to mine as well. I hate my over-boosted steering.
You have to call BMWNA and have your VIN# ready.
It is only for 2001 330; no 325.

You will need to explain to them that you have the boosted steering and it is a free upgrade from BMW.

They will put you on a waiting list. It will take several months of waiting. It took me from 2/03 to get it. I understand that we are just waiting for parts. They just can get extra parts fast enough, because the new production needs.
:pimpin: :pimpin:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dinan330ci said:
it should take about 1/2 to 3/4 of a day. took longer for me b/c the alignment rack broke. so it stayed over night.

i got this done about a month and a half ago. love it. that floaty feeling around corners or when going fast is gone. you get A LOT more feedback from the road. just make sure they get the alignment right. my car is going in next week b/c after they did the retrofit it started pulling/drifting left.
I will make sure they test the alignment.
What else should I look out for?

Thanks,
:thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts