BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 M3, and need to get a new rack & pinion unit (and new outer tie rods) due to a minor accident.

Regarding the rack & pinion, the re-build shop I ordered from doesn't have the base model to send, and agrees to send the upgraded unit for the same price. I believe this is the 'competition package' rack & pinion, and turning ratios are slightly tighter than the base model.

I found this regarding ratios,
>The standard M3’s rack has 15.4:1 ratio, the Competition Package gets a 14.5:1 rack.

I was very comfortable with the base steering rack, and wonder if I might find the competition rack to be much different, or perhaps too tight.

I thought it would be good to check with the forum, and would appreciate any and all input.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
its not THAT big of a difference, you might find it a little odd at first just because its new to you and different. But like anything over time you will adjust to it and you wont even think of it after a while.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm doing the Z4M Roadster rack 13.7:1 ratio, when I swap my stock rack out. ZCP is pointless as 15.4:1 to 14.5:1 is barely an upgrade. Z4M roadster rack is the best bang for the buck for this car, yet not many are aware of it. Z4M Coupe rack is the sought after one (12.8:1 ratio), but sourcing one is next to impossible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts