BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Im new in the forum, I have search everything on the internet (I hope so) about this, so if someone could give me any advise on what to do I would appreciate.

So, my old TRW steering rack had bad seals and death zone in the center, so I replaced it with ZF yellow tag steering rack.
After I put the new ATF Dex III oil in the reservoir I proceed with turning the wheel lock to lock, and then turn on the engine :)banghead:), ofc oil disappear quickly and turn the engine off, added some oil and proceed to turn the wheel lock to lock.

Ive been turning the steering wheel for 1000x (no joke) with both engine off and on. With the engine on it seems all is fine , very smooth, like new.
But with the engine off, the oil flatuates up and down when I turn the steering wheel, and under de car I can hear some air inside the steering rack.

Please give me some advises on what to do from here.
PS: the car was and is in jack stands.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Are you sure you're hearing the hiss of air in fluid with the car off, or might you be hearing seals and parts gliding in the silence instead? The fluctuating fluid in the reservoir as you turn with the engine off is normal. I suggest you just start driving it. There will still be tiny bubbles in it for a while until the fluid gets hot and thinner and they have time to surface in the reservoir. Each day more and more of the fluid will stop in the reservoir when you shut down and complete the surfacing process of tiny bubbles in oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for your reply.
I did what you said, went for a drive, all seems OK, much better with this steering rack, more heavy to turn than TRW one.
I guess I was overthinking the process, maybe its all fine.
Is there a way to know if all is ok?
For example, when I turn the steering wheel to one lock (while driving) the steering wheel comes to reset point by itself (older one didnt), this can be a sign that all is correct.
Is there other thing to check for?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts