BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Few days ago i had an unfortunate accident and now i need to change my steering rack along with rods. But i struggle to find the exact steering rack. I see someone is selling one for 318i. But my car is 320d with 136hp engine. (i dont know the code but my cars model year is 1999). So the question is, which racks will fit for my car and will that 318i one fit? I have a plan for swapping the engine later but for now it needs to stay. So if an m3 one will fit too, i can even look for it.

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,238 Posts
Hello. Few days ago i had an unfortunate accident and now i need to change my steering rack along with rods. But i struggle to find the exact steering rack. I see someone is selling one for 318i. But my car is 320d with 136hp engine. (i dont know the code but my cars model year is 1999). So the question is, which racks will fit for my car and will that 318i one fit? I have a plan for swapping the engine later but for now it needs to stay. So if an m3 one will fit too, i can even look for it.
Looks like the 318i one should be a direct fit.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxref?id=AP72-EUR-08-2003-E46-BMW-320d&mg=32&sg=10&diagId=32_1169&q=32136755068&series=E46

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,238 Posts
oh wow thats really useful :) Thanks! What should i need if i want m3 rack with this engine? Because i will swap it soon so maybe it could save me some bucks if i do it now
I honestly have no idea. We didn't get the diesel or the smaller displacements here in the US so I have no experience with much of any of the mechanicals in your car.

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,238 Posts
Did a little digging and found that the steering racks are directly interchangeable across the line, but that the M3 rack is actually slower than the non-M one and it's far more common for guys to swap non-M racks into their M3s rather than the other way around.

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,238 Posts
I've got a "yellow tag" 712 rack out of a 330i ZHP that I intend to swap into my touring. That's the fastest ratio one that they made.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my trusted mechanic says all racks are compatible with all engines i hope its true :) thanks for everything i found one 712 yellow tag and i think i will go for it. i will write if it fits

1 - 8 of 8 Posts