BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... I having problem with the handling since i replaced my 17'OEM rims to Hamann HM2 18's... The steering wheel is very unstable on the bumping surface... its kind of moving the wheel by itself.... Anyone know whats happening? Plz help!
Also how much air i should have for these tires... I am currenting running on 39PSI. thanx guys

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did... they good for a while,,, and back again..I also went to my dealer got everything checked, they said everything is ok,,, except the rims is too big,, thats why it effect my steering...But i really don't believe that...

·
Registered
645 Posts
It's true, wider rims will cause tramlining which forces your car to follow the grooves in the road. Just one of the side effects of bigger/wider wheels. Do a search for it in the tire forums and you'll get all the information you need on this.

·
P.I.M.P.
2,477 Posts
I'll say from personal expirience that tremlining depends more on the tire than on the wheel.....Agressive sports tires(ie S03) are known for their crappy tremlining.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I've noticed the same thing with keeping same size tyres and just changing to the new Dunlop SP Sport. They grip anything in sight and tend to pull the car in that direction, I had them balanced and rotated twice before I believed it was just the tyres doing their job on bad road.

·
Yes...I do think I hate you
1,744 Posts
tramlining just keeps you more aware and active as a driver is the way I look at it.

·
alfisti & bimmer fan
2,096 Posts
but hes not talking about tramlining... right?

You may have a little tramlinin whit 18s and 19s, but the steering don`t really needs to move weird or something.

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,336 Posts
No the 18s definately create a lot of tramlining even the MV Spokes. I notice it a lot on highways and such where there are a lot of ruts made from constant travel, and especially while coming to stops if I let of the wheel it will go right the left or right.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
samething here...... well.... people suggest me to have 34psi at front and 39 at rear... i will check it out tomorrow... see if its works :(

·
www.piratecove.org
3,706 Posts
yeap i'd say you see that more with wider tires than any particular rim

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had 17' before... they work great.... I believe front rims was 7'wide. and rear was 8' wide.... the handling was great... but now i have 4 rims with 8.5... thats why its strange, i guess..

·
Registered
350 Posts
I think your problem are the tires. What kind/brand do you have? I had 17" wheels with Bridgeton S03's and they were tramlining badly. Then I got 4 18x8.5 Hm2's with Kumho 712s and they were fine.

·
Banned
256 Posts
jianglu said:
Hey guys... I having problem with the handling since i replaced my 17'OEM rims to Hamann HM2 18's... The steering wheel is very unstable on the bumping surface... its kind of moving the wheel by itself.... Anyone know whats happening? Plz help!
Also how much air i should have for these tires... I am currenting running on 39PSI. thanx guys
Ive got the same problem!

323ci with 18" hm2 with stainless lip... 225/40/18

what tire size u runnin?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts