BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if the steering on the 2001 e46's were different than the other years because it feels kinda stiff 2 me. Was there like a defect that year or something, sorry is this is a dumb question but i dont know the steering is kinda hard. If so, can i have the dealer fix it? Thanks.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
29,483 Posts
I believe that there was a steering change for 330's that you could have retrofitted. Many customers complained that it was too light and they couldnt "feel" the road enough so BMW did a voluntary retrofit to make the steering a bit more forced...

·
yuppie racing
1,919 Posts
interesting.......because most 2001 owners comlain of the exact opposite- They (myself included) think the steering is way to loose and needs to be tightened up. But it sounds like you're saying that it's too stiff right now?

·
Registered
65 Posts
is there a way by looking at the car, (underneath or something) to tell if this mod has been performed already

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks every1, but i have a 325i, so is it still under warrenty 2 retrofit the steering or is it only for 330's?

·
yuppie racing
1,919 Posts
gatsby325i said:
thanks every1, but i have a 325i, so is it still under warrenty 2 retrofit the steering or is it only for 330's?
Ive read that it was only for the 330's but I actually heard people tell me that they got it done for their 325's as well

·
Obey my dog
2,616 Posts
bmwti said:
interesting.......because most 2001 owners comlain of the exact opposite- They (myself included) think the steering is way to loose and needs to be tightened up. But it sounds like you're saying that it's too stiff right now?
:werd: I am still on the waiting list for this retrofit. I have been waiting since 5/27 :banghead: hopefully it will come through soon.

AFAIK the retrofit was originally for late 2000 323/328 and early 2001 325/330 but about six months ago or so BMWNA stopped supporting the retrofit on anything but the 330.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts