BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this problem too and want to share my fix. For a DIY mechanic, this is what you need to check and it is easy peasy.
My locking steering at full cock problem is solved by doing a front end alignment. The problem was caused by the wheels being towed in too much. This is easy to check using the string method. Stretch a string from the front to the back of the car at the center of the wheel. Adjust the distance of the string from the center of the wheel so it is the same for the front and back wheel, I was about 4cm away. Then measure the distance between the string and the edge of the rim in the front and back of the wheel. I had an 11mm difference toed in. I adjusted the tie-rods to get that down to 1mm and the problem was gone.
Hi, still there in the forum? Can you explain more what did you adjusted to solve the issue?

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Hi, still there in the forum? Can you explain more what did you adjusted to solve the issue?
In his case, the locking issue was caused by having too much toe-in at the front wheels (they are not in parallel) , but this might not be the reason for most of the problems. Most cases the issue was caused by accident and something hit the wheel sideway hard and bent the knuckle, leading to the tie-rod/knuckle geometry in almost a straight line at steering lock.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What made me think I could have the same problem is that I noticed it just only after changing the front arms and having a new alignment consequently.

So it may be alignment related. I want to go to the shop having clear what to check eventually and if I find something to investigate I want understand what to say to the guy that made alignment ;)

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
4,169 Posts
Please post the alignment

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please post the alignment
I now don't have the alignment values but I'ìll ask for them at this point.
Made pics of my knucle. if is correct to have the knucle at 45°, my left/right ones are at 90°.
I started feeling that issue after replacing OEM original front arms with Meyle, never had this issue before and noticed it just after replacing them. That makes me hopefully about a "simple" wrong alignment

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Made pics of my knucle. if is correct to have the knucle at 45°, my left/right ones are at 90°.
Forget about the angle formed at normal straight ahead position; the important position to check is when the said RH wheel (take the front right wheel in your first pic for example) turned to max right, then look at the angle formed by the axle knuckle and the tie-rod: the more it is closer to 180 degrees the harder to turn the wheel back (think about your elbow when pushing the arm on the table: when the whole arm is straight it's hard to bend it back as compared to when only extending the arm to less than 170 deg).

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
If I was confronted with the above, I would be putting it onto the alignment rack.
In addition to the "regular" wheel alignment, many machines have "additional measurements" (click buttons and perform additional measurements/sweeps) and I'd be looking at setback angles and most importantly "toe out on turns".

That would reveal what's going on.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
If I was confronted with the above, I would be putting it onto the alignment rack.
In addition to the "regular" wheel alignment, many machines have "additional measurements" (click buttons and perform additional measurements/sweeps) and I'd be looking at setback angles and most importantly "toe out on turns".

That would reveal what's going on.
SOLVED!
made another alignment past week, here's the background: after changing front arms, the alignment was made from a tire shop that was not my trusted one. Sadly my trusted one had issues with covid and was close for a long time :(

witj my big happiness, not exclusively for my car but mainly because seeme is slowly getting better, those weeks my 70+ years old trusted one came back to work: he made another alignment and we found the convergence was "quite close" but mainly the steering wheel was not "perfectly at twelve o'clock" when the wheels were straight. The steering was a little on the left side, the side where I experienced the "lock"...
long story short: re-aligned the car with the steering perfectly centered and set the wheels straight with that new setup and now I can feel the steering that in full turn have still the "extra space" to turn on at very low speed, like experienced before, but no steering locking anymore.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
What's the religious artifact on the alignment machine? God of alignments?;)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What's the religious artifact on the alignment machine? God of alignments?;)
😂 😂 😂 I dont'know exactly who he is, but you can see reflected on my car's door one of the traditional "goddes" 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

1 - 10 of 10 Posts