BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, basically I just woke up one morning. Went to get in my car, started driving a bit. I felt that the steering was noticeablly heavier. I haven't changed anything in my car, this just randomly occured. I checked the belts, pulleys, and power steering fluid. All seemed fine. I don't mind a bit heavier steering, but not if it may cause further damage or even failure to parts I want to get rid of it. Any ideas ? :hmm:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had the same thing happen, although it was on a "colder" morning... funny thing I noticed though...
Sitting in the driveway, and slightly turning the wheel, I see the Tach bounce around... nothing crazy, but I definitely didn't notice this before

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Check the power steering fluid. :dunno:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, when it first happened it WAS on a cold day. But the following day is was normal out (68-70'ish) and the steering still felt like that. Yea I forgot to mention but tire pressure was what I checked first

·
Registered
627 Posts
Last Friday while on the highway my power steering went out. Then engine temp started to rise. Pulled over, killed engine, towed to independent European import shop (I'm out of warranty). $736 for tow and replace water pump. Shop returns car to me with BRAKE, ABS, Check Engine, and Traction Control lights on. I'm not happy. Then on Saturday morning power steering goes out again. I'm even less happy. Back to shop, they say power steering pump has burned out, bad right rear wheel sensor, both gas tank sending units giving odd readings. Not surprised about the power steering pump, it has been groaning and hoses have been leaking for some time now. $1400 for power steering pump and wheel sensor and to clear BRAKE & ABS lights. They want another $650 for the sending units. Holding off on sending units for now, will see if they present problem in future.

2001 325i with 80,500 miles. CPO warranty just ran out in April. Do you think I've been screwed with these repair bills? This shop is very reputable and usually if not always far cheaper than the dealer. This car has run like a top all it's life and I've loved it....how do car companies get the car to start falling apart right after the warranty runs out? Some kind of voodoo curse?!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts