E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002 E46, BMW 325i Sedan, M54B25 Engine, GM 5L40E Auto Transmission, Sports Package
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently had to replace my steering column. During replacement, I took the opportunity to replace my steering angle sensor as well. After putting everything together, I have the angle sensor warning (Yellow Brake Light and DSC Light ON). Also it seems that the steering wheel is slightly turned to the left in order for the car to go straight. I did the lock to lock turn three or four times but it didnt fix the issue. Question is do I need to first get the wheel alignment done then perform the angle sensor calibration? I guess we are talking about two issues here first the steering wheel slightly turned to the left in order for the car to go straight and the second is the angle sensor warning. I was thinking of taking the steering wheel off to make sure its aligned properly to the arrow on the column but I dont want to do that since I made sure its aligned before I put it on.

I have BMW scanner and this is what it says
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

·
Registered
858 Posts
Yes, if it were me I would first see if I need an alignment. On even surfice (hwy) how far can the car travel without driver aiding in steering.
Moreover, basically any time the steering is adjusted,repaired,replaced...
calibration is required so says newtis.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
I was thinking of taking the steering wheel off to make sure its aligned properly to the arrow on the column but I dont want to do that since I made sure its aligned before I put it on.
Re-position the steering (center it) will not fix the pulling to the right issue, and the steering shaft still has to be turned to the left slightly to keep it running straight. It needs to be aligned to center the wheel, and do not re-position the wheel.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
7,468 Posts
There's a few things going on here.

1 There's likely a two or three fine splines (at the steering rack) off from the previous column.

2 Likely the car doesn't "pull" rather since the above is off the car goes straight, but the steering wheel is off center.

I would attempt to bring the steering column back to the correct splines, and/or the wheel. The number of splines is different for top and bottom of the column. Fine VS coarse.

Realign the sensor via a laptop. I have never seen the "lock to lock" do anything. Think about it.
Old lady Smith down the street can't drive for shit and coming out of her driveway she goes lock to lock 5 times. Did the angle sensor change???

You could also get a wheel alignment, to bring it all together. However if the alignment is fresh (?) maybe you want to avoid that?

·
Registered
2002 E46, BMW 325i Sedan, M54B25 Engine, GM 5L40E Auto Transmission, Sports Package
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First of all thanks to both for replying. The car doesnt pull on either side in other words I dont feel the constant pressure on my steering wheel constantly struggling to keep the car going straight. In other words its not the same feeling you get when you have a tire puncture or alignment issue. I put in new tires recently (4 months back) and had the alignment done at that time. The steering wheel is off-centered, I guess that is the best way to describe it. The car runs smoothly no issues turning just fine but visually the steering wheel doesnt appear like a straight T while the car is going straight. See if you can make it out from the picture attached.

Now, I have recently been to my indy shop and back and as you can see that the angle sensor lights are on in the dash. I was told by my indy shop that they had to change the rubber+metal guibo that connects the smaller u joint steering column shaft to the steering rack because the splines were messed up on the guibo on the U Joint steering column end. This was probably caused by me when I tried to put in the new steering column along with the lower joint piece into the guibo.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Why not just move the wheel a spline?
This will make the wheel to be center, but this does not align the steering column which has the censor attached.

With both front wheel straight, then align the steering column to its center (which centers the sensor pots).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes its two different issues but I agree I need to center the wheel first. The question is where? I guess the first question is why my Indy shop didnt think about this when he replaced the guibo so I should probably take the car to him. If I was going to do a DIY, where does it make sense to perform the spline shift
1) at the steering wheel to column
2) steering column to the first u joint/lower column linkage
3) lower column linkage to guibo
4) Guibo to steering rack

I prefer it doing at the steering wheel (#1) since its the easiest to access but then I also want to do it right.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
7,468 Posts
Getting the finer splines (lower column) would be ideal. The ones at the top are less fine.
Then realign the sensor. (Via keystrokes)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am thinking I will call my indy shop in the morning first. Doesnt all these joint have centering mechanisms/safeguard in place which only allows the receiving end to go in one position only? I have seen it on the steering column end and I thought its on the guibo as well. How can this happen then...

·
Registered
E46 320d touring 2002
334 Posts

hope this helps

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My In
hope this helps
It definitely does. I just dont have the patience at the moment to take all that apart at the moment. My Indy shop is AWOL for the moment as well. I am going to borrow the Foxwell NT650 from my friend to read the steering angle readouts but I dont think I should just re-calibrate it without fixing the steering wheel off center issue

1 - 12 of 12 Posts