E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd love to locate my cell phone somewhere that is either stealth or at least doesn't have a lot of holes drilled, etc. i did a search and couldn't find one. I remember someone doing something in the change holder but it was like with the cell phone standing up or something. Any help?

·
Registered
132 Posts
if you take out the dash there is alot of room back tehre you could install a cig lighter and just plug ur cell fone car charger in there and lay the charger in there. if you actually take out the glove box there is alot of room to hide the wires

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I can't visualize this. Where would the phone sit while it's charging?
sm330ci said:
if you take out the dash there is alot of room back tehre you could install a cig lighter and just plug ur cell fone car charger in there and lay the charger in there. if you actually take out the glove box there is alot of room to hide the wires

·
Registered
132 Posts
you could just have it sit in the glvoe box, similar to how the ipod sits if you get the radio kit for it. if you want ill take pictures about what im talking about... you just have to give me a day.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I see what you're talking about. If you have pictures that'd be great. I don't have any problem wiring something, it's just knowing where it would fit properly. Thanks!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But where does the phone go? I don't want to lose my cup holders. Sounds silly I know, but for a trip they are nice.
soldi said:
get the 2006 bmw e46 parts catalog and you will se how cool the oem retrofit is!

·
Registered
343 Posts
2001bimmer330i said:
I think I see what you're talking about. If you have pictures that'd be great. I don't have any problem wiring something, it's just knowing where it would fit properly. Thanks!
There's a BMW accessory that turns the plug where the flashlight charges into a standard cigarette lighter sized power outlet - available from any dealer. Then just plug in your charger and you're good to go.

Scott

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, that sounds good. So just throw it in the Glove Box, and let it charge right?

The only other place I was thinking is the little holder that is above the ashtray. If I drilled a small hole I could route my charger through there and solder it to power at the cigarette lighter. Then when I wanted to charge it, just open the little door...pull out the charger plug, plug it up then close the door. Is that workable or is that a problem?
Pigeon said:
There's a BMW accessory that turns the plug where the flashlight charges into a standard cigarette lighter sized power outlet - available from any dealer. Then just plug in your charger and you're good to go.

Scott

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'm not sure how "stealth" you want to go, but here is what I use:

http://www.bimmian.com/page.htm?page=deals

It's a cell phone stand that uses existing screws in your car (behind your trim) so you will not have to drill any new holes or mess anything up. This combined with the extra power adapter mentioned above might be a good way to go! :thumbup:

Check out the pictures from bimmian. They're also having a special on that particular piece at the moment!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's kinda cool looking but not really stealth at all. I think I use my cell phone different than most. I use it pretty much only in the car. The charge will last for 3 days or so then I have to break out the ol' charger and plug it into the cig lighter. I'd rather just plug it into an out of the way place in the car, where it can't even be seen...AND keep my cup holders.

·
Registered
132 Posts
the pics are coming that i promissed but it was raining here so i couldnt take them today... i couldnt keep the door to the car open, but if u want to see what i mean just take out your clove box you will understand how you can just lay ur cell phone in there. also you can install a cig lighter in there and keep it pluged in.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright I decided what to do on Friday and installed it on Saturday. What I did was put it in the sunglasses compartment just above where the cig lighter goes. I was able to tap off the cigarette light which has power on it 24/7.

Here is a picture of the compartment sitting on my table.

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Next I turned it over and used my handy dandy drimmel to carve a hole in the bottom. I started making a large enough hold for the plug to go through but then saw that the plug was able to be removed from the power cord. Made a smaller hole that way. Also, there is some rubber lining on the inside of the compartment...just use your knife to make a slit in it instead of clearing a big hole in it.

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Then I drilled a couple of holes in the housing of the charging plug. I solder a red and a black wire to the power and the ground in preparation for soldering to the cigarette lighter later on.

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Then I solder the wires to the cigarette lighter. You can see a little board in the background...that was for the button for the garage door opener. Also on the last photo you see the finished product. The wire is sort of sticking up righ tnow but it can be pushed flat, I just hadn't done it by then. Everything seems to be working fine for now. Oh, the only gotcha is when I first tried to stuff all of the wires in there, I shorted something out and blew a fuse. So I took some electrical tape and ran a strip of it on the vital parts then replaced the fuse. Other than that it is very simple and took about 30 minutes or so. Happy modding!

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I like it! Very stealth. I have cup holders there and didn't want to lose them. I actually wish there were two in the back, like maybe some stealth foldouts or something.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts