BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys........is this possible?!

i want to match my clear corners with my headlights. meaning.......i want them white, matching my halogen headlights......then have them blink amber?! is this set up possible? if so, is it difficult or are there special bulbs for this?!

sugestions? comments? tips?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

i don't think i explained myself well enough.

i already have silver bulbs which are great.......during the day, i don't have that "egg yolk" colored lenses. and they blink amber.

what i want is..........at night, to my corners stay on white......hopefully matching my halogens........and then blink amber.

·
OO[][]OO
528 Posts
don't know if I'm going to say it clear, but anyhow here we go :
- drill second hole either top or bottom and install another light housing and bulb, then do hardware it to the lights or tap the original wire harness to get continious power as when the lights are on .
The original bulb will be used only for blinking , also can be exchanged with only one light "spring" inside the bulb (or let's call it with 2 "legs + - " not 3 as blinker and all of the time on light ) .

ps: btw that's why we have "sity lights" back in EU (so the blinker is only blinker) .

3C
330CiEVOSport

Attachments

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Don't think there's such a thing...

Maybe someone will invent it?:dunno:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
3c.......i'm sure what you're sayin' will work, but i'm far from being technical to even attempt what you're saying! lol

yes, i hope someone will create a "plug n play" version of this......would be a great lil mod!

anyone out there willing to take this challenge?!

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,794 Posts
3c said:
don't know if I'm going to say it clear, but anyhow here we go :
- drill second hole either top or bottom and install another light housing and bulb, then do hardware it to the lights or tap the original wire harness to get continious power as when the lights are on .
The original bulb will be used only for blinking , also can be exchanged with only one light "spring" inside the bulb (or let's call it with 2 "legs + - " not 3 as blinker and all of the time on light ) .

ps: btw that's why we have "sity lights" back in EU (so the blinker is only blinker) .

3C
330CiEVOSport

This is the right idea however the bulb is already a single filament bulb (one spring, two contacts). The wattage is regulated somewhere so when the blinker is on the wattage gets boosted. You need to build something that measure this and then could direct the power to different bulbs. Not really an easy project.

Tim

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I say make a trip to your favorite car audio shop. A good installer should know enough electronics to make something like this.

·
Wacko 4 Jacko
517 Posts
Not sure, but I think this would be illegal here in the states. For the same reason that clear corner reflectors are technicaly illegal, there needs to be an orange/amber light on the front corners somewhere. Just flashing orange may not be enough, but I could be wrong. Anyone have the DOT laws handy?

But there has got to be a double filament bulb out there somewhere. I know I've seen something like this somewhere.

·
Registered
591 Posts
noahabel said:
Not sure, but I think this would be illegal here in the states. For the same reason that clear corner reflectors are technicaly illegal, there needs to be an orange/amber light on the front corners somewhere. Just flashing orange may not be enough, but I could be wrong. Anyone have the DOT laws handy?

But there has got to be a double filament bulb out there somewhere. I know I've seen something like this somewhere.
Noahabel, I think you could be right---"white" lights, such as headlights and reverse lights, indicate that the vehicle is moving in the direction of the light. (Of course that doesn't mean that this would be noticed by the police or enforced...)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you guys are right, it is illegal. but then again, so it lowering your car and having too loud of a sound system, louder than normal exhaust and no front plates.....but we all like livin' on the edge as modders! lol

·
• DFW •
2,740 Posts
Dude,

Heres your solution:

1. drill a hole and wire up city light into the blinker housing.

2. connect the city light to your fogs.

PRESTO. your blinkers are independent of your city light in the blinker housing. Just that youll have to turn on your fogs to get the effect.

- ViD

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
I dont know if its possible the closets thing is silvervisons...are silver until they light up amber or superwhite, or you can put the clear bulbs they have an light yellow tint while just running and light up white when flashing...and finally superwhites are basically the same thing but have a little more blue tint to them when they light up

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think mhw or in.pro may have what you are looking for.

Search for frontblinker mit standlichtfunktion (front indicators with running light).

/RS2

·
Registered
40 Posts
From mhw website. The price is 60 Euro. /RS2

"Within the area of the lighting system there is an advancement of the front turn signal function. The new generation grey and white front turn signals possesses an integrated parking light, which may remain in the area of the StVO permanently in connection with the headlight low beam switched on. Apart from the captivating optics, also your passive security grows, since your vehicle becomes faster recognizable both from the front and the side."

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,794 Posts
Something still has to be done to keep the corner light from being on with the parking lights (first click). The corner light is a single filament bulb that gets a set wattage for parking lights and a higher wattage for blinking. So even if you wire in another bulb the corner bulb is going to be on and glowing orange (assuming you have an orange bulb). It seems to me that some EE needs to build a circuit that checks the wattage and directs the lower wattage (parking) to a clear bulb and the higher (blinking) bulb. Anyone want to try that one?

Tim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts