E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got a 2003 330i. my problem is this, sometimes when I try to crank the car it does nothing. by this i mean, i put the key in and turn it and the car powers up but when i turn it all the way back to start it does nothing, doesnt try to start, no sounds no attempt to crank, no nothing. so i turn it back and pull the key out and do this procedure several times until it cranks. i have now found that while the key is turned to crank and it does nothing if i continue to hold it back it finally cranks, and not a slow or hard crank, just cranks normal. it seems like it goes through its stages, i will get in and it will crank just normal for days or weeks and then out of no where i will have this problem a time or two. i thought it might be because i didnt have my foot on the brake pedal, but the car seems to crank normally rather i have it pressed or not. its just a weird thing to happen and figured someone had some advice for me on what it was.. thanks in advance for any and all help

·
Registered
968 Posts
is this an automatic or manual?

possible culprits:
clutch sensor
fuel pump
starter

EDIT: there have been a lot of starting issue threads lately, search through the threads and I'm sure you'll learn yourself plenty

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Failing starter? Sounds like a similar issue someone just posted about.

Edit: Doubt its the pump, only cause he says nothing will happen. If it was the pump I think it would crank at the very least, just not start.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Failing starter? Sounds like a similar issue someone just posted about.

Edit: Doubt its the pump, only cause he says nothing will happen. If it was the pump I think it would crank at the very least, just not start.
true, just thought I'd brainstorm a little. I'm leaning towards the starter as well. seems like the issue of the month.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Looks like it. Maybe the cold? Hope I dont have any starting issues this winter. Although I think my fuel pump may be ready to go soon. Had a no start a few weeks ago, but hasn't happened again after banging on the fuel pump area.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Looks like it. Maybe the cold? Hope I dont have any starting issues this winter. Although I think my fuel pump may be ready to go soon. Had a no start a few weeks ago, but hasn't happened again after banging on the fuel pump area.
A little violence can go a long way

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Haha, I was on my way to the Dr's for a cough that I had for 2 months, so was getting mad I was going to be late. Luckily I had read about that a couple months back as being a temporary fix, and voila! It worked.

P.S. Sorry to deviate off your topic OP :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its a automatic, sorry... yeah i wondered about the started but when i have had those go out there were some signs.. and this started before it got cold. it may do it a time or two and not do it again for a while. when it does crank after the stall, its not slow or straining, it fires right up. ive tried several different things like pulling the key out and turning it around, foot on brake and off of brake.. its a really weird problem. and when trying and it doesnt start and i keep it held turned, it takes like 2 to 3 sec to crank. i wondered if it was the battery in my key getting weak but it seems like if that was the case it would just cont to get worse and worse until it wouldnt do anything. and i have no problem lights coming on. thanks for your thoughts and insights so far..

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I think you have to consider the key or the ignition switch as a possibility. If you have a 2nd key, switch to using it for a while, and see if the issue still occurs. If it does, then it is possibly the ignition switch. I think this is a pretty strong possibility, given that it starts right up, and is not working to turn over, as you said. So, it sounds like the ignition switch is not making contact, but after you hold it there for a few seconds, it does, and the car starts. Does that sound accurate? It sounds like an ignition switch issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts