BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I've been fighting a problem for a couple of weeks now and i thought some outside opinions would help.
Basically i got a code for camshaft positions sensor (intake) and decided to replace both. soon after that, as i am driving, i hear a beep then the yellow brake light and the dsc light come on. now everytime i try to start the engine it will take forever to crank and when it does turn over, the idle is irractic and jumps between 600-1000 rpm. when i do try to drive, it seems like it shakes whenever it is below 1k then after that it will drive just normal but with the two yellow lights on

i am completely lost with this any help would e much appreciated.
i will try to upload a few videos for you guys to see

thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
You are grasping at straws here without having any codes.

Does the SES/CEL/MIL come on?

Where did you buy the cam sensors and how much did you pay for them?

You really need an OBDII tool AND a BMW specific tool like BMW Scanner 1.4.0 or some other BMW specific tool or software or even a professional level scan tool like one from SnapOn, Autel or Launch.

Without more details we are all in the dark.

DO NOT fall into the trap of trying to clean wheel speed sensors!

·
Registered
279 Posts
my car had this same problem but i've only expirenced it after bump starting it when i had a bad starter, subbed. when mine was doing it it felt like a misfire and was very low on power, almost like a limp mode.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
hey so i just pulled the codes from the car using INPA and it says crankshaft sensor and camshaft despite the fact that i replaced both camshafts sensors. it also gave code from the dsc (communication error). how is the crankshaft sensor even related to the dsc.

also i scanned the wheel sensors and theyre all perfectly fine

any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All parts were from oembimmerparts.com and they have always been good to me. They're one of the few places that I trust.

My question is would a bad crankshaft sensor trip a code for the camshaft sensors?

·
Registered
279 Posts
How would I go about fixing that?

replace crankshaft sensor.. i believe you have to remove the intake manifold to get to it. i have my manifold off right now since i'm deleting the ccv and replacing all the rubber lines.. tomorrow i'll check after my dmv ordered driving class.. these cars are trouble

1 - 12 of 12 Posts