E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I washed my car from outside...
then it stopped working at all,
when trying to switch it on, the mass air flow sensor appears and the temerature meter indicates full heat, given that car is cool.
see attached photo...

would any body help please?
I could not recognize the problem!!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,999 Posts
That's not a MAF warning light...believe that's a transmission light...but not having an auto trans., I'm not sure. Check your owner's manual...or get it online.

If washing your car started this issue...start by checking the battery...use cluster test or multimeter to get the voltage.

Try jump starting the car. If it starts, keep it going for a while on the highway. Check connections for tightness on the battery and make sure your battery compartment isn't flooded too!

Electric connections should be waterproof, but sometimes the gasket inside a connector falls out...but if you were washing only from the outside...not under your hood, that shouldn't matter.

I'm hoping that you kept your radio on or something while washing and that drained the last bit of good juice from your car.

BTW, your voltage should be above 12 with the car off. If you get it started, s/b around 14.

Could be just that you start the car too often and don't drive enough to keep battery charged...or the battery is old and tired. Check date under the battery clamp. If over 5 years or so...might just be its time.

HTH

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dear DMAX;
yes it is a transmission light
but Battery is 10 months old only
the car is automatic

I'll check Battery voltage...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I did sharing with another car, but still not working
but my concern why the temperature meter indecates full heat.... given that I replace the thermostat with new one..

this is a new photo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
once I open the switch on the second click the thermostat needle goes to the red directly and stay there, transmission light appears also, until I go back to 1st click or remove the switch when every thing goes back to default.

I upload a video on you tube to demonstrate the problem...

Battery and thermostat are replaced already... but still the same problem..
please check this video
http://youtu.be/iRJJCMGx_pk

·
Registered
16,122 Posts
Cars generally use thermocouples to sense temperature (though it could be a thermistor). They are cheap and reliable, however their readings can be ruined easily by bad wiring. You need to check the wiring all the way from the sensors to the computer. Any connector that is loose or corroded (or has water) will alter the signal given by the thermocouple and throw off the computer's reading. The voltage change only has to be a few millivolts to make a difference. Make sure none of the sensor's harness wires have been compromised.

I just noticed you said you only replaced the thermostat. <s>This part does not read temperature.</s> (It may read temperature but I'm pretty sure the dash reads the temperature sensor not the thermostat). You may need to replace your coolant temperature sensor. I believe autos have two. One for the coolant near the outflow from the engine and another out from the auto tranny.

EDIT: I think the sensor on the auto tranny is just for the transmission fluid not coolant. I can't find a transmission coolant temp sensor anywhere. Can someone verify?

Part 4 is the temp sensor (13621433077)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WDE46 Thanks very much for info...

do you know today morning the car started normally.... I drived it around...
afternoon the pblem come back again...

so the problem is not stable "comes and go"!!!

any way ...as you said I'll check the coolant temperature sensor and its cables.

·
Registered
16,122 Posts
WDE46 Thanks very much for info...

do you know today morning the car started normally.... I drived it around...
afternoon the pblem come back again...

so the problem is not stable "comes and go"!!!

any way ...as you said I'll check the coolant temperature sensor and its cables.
I would recommend not driving it. The display temp is unreliable so if you do happen to be overheating you may think its just hte problem coming back and then you'll have a real problem.

·
Registered
98,872 Posts
The temperature gauge usually defaults to red when one of the temperature sensors isn't responding.
That said, you may have a grounding issue or a short. Check engine ground strap and electrical connections, especially in the DME (ECU) box.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,999 Posts
Use the cluster test to measure battery voltage.

In rereading this thread, you have an intermittent starting issue...seemingly random cluster signals.

I think if it's not the battery that it could just be a loose. You said you'd check voltage, but didn't report that you did...just that you jumped cars and it didn't work. You might have jumped the wrong way (meaning, maybe not long enough). Or that your starter cable under + terminal is loose.

That the battery is only 10 months old doesn't mean it's not bad. It could be 'bad.' Not bad permanently, just weak. Weak because you take a lot of short trips and don't really drive a long distance often enough to recharge it...or you have a loose, corroded connection somewhere.

That you washed the car and it didn't work makes you think it's water infiltration related, but it could also be because you started the car, moved it 10' and then turned it off...taking the last little bit of juice your car had.

I'd say go back to cables. Check the cable on terminals under hood and on battery itself. You might also check to see if maybe your battery compartment is flooded...if you haven't already.

I think it's 'power' related...or that it could be.

BTW your King was on the Daily Show last week, you know. Did you see that?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts