BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a problem.

I have an 01 325i and every morning when I start my car it revs to about 1000 RPM then stalls out. After that the car is perfectly fine the rest of the day. This has been a progressive problem because it used to just rev to 1000 then stutter down to about 200 then go to normal. I cleaned the ICV about a month or two ago and I cleaned the MAF. The problem stopped then but now it is happening again. It seems everything on my car has been screwing up recently like my thermostat getting stuck and leaking exhaust. -_-. I have a load of ideas of what might be causing this stall but no idea how to narrow it down. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
968 Posts
first assumption would be the vanos
having issues with cold weather starts and idling usually point to this.

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
If you cleaned the DISA and ICV and is still doing it, then It's 99% the vanos seals. I had the same problems you mentioned and did my vanos seals last year..
I haven't had any problems yet. knock on wood ;)

·
Registered
26,272 Posts
SAP hose maybe. Squeeze hose from pump to valve; if squishy, open up valve end and see if it's gunked up. Clean out. Replace hose at earliest convenience. Tape hose if you find a hole in it. Also check from valve going back.

On icv, I fixed my idle surging like you had by cleaning it like a crazy person...also TB. While down there, replace the lower intake boot. Remove tb to really clean it up nicely...at least I did. I'm sort of ocd, but haven't even looked for medication for it...I just look for dirt and that makes me perfectly happy!

Anyway, cold start issues...only time sap is working, so it's a fair guess. Happened to me. True story!

·
Registered
26,272 Posts
What should I clean it with? Its pretty squishy.
Remove the end from the valve and look in the inlet...on mine, I found gunk in a ball...the inner hose wall had corroded and clogged it up.

I used a dental pick. Look...maybe tweezers or something.

When mine stalled I finally gunned it to get it going...later I found this ball of gunk.

In any case, replace the hose...inspect for holes now...if there are any, plug them up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I have an update... I took the hose off and checked for holes. It was fine but it had soft spots... I think it might be the vanos. I had someone start it while I listened to the engine area before it stalled out. there was a loud clunk sort of sound coming from the vanos area which was probably the inside banging against the wall or something? but since we now know about this clunk kinda sound any new ideas? or is my vanos theory right?

·
Registered
26,272 Posts
Did you look into the valve that that hose is connected to? One the exhaust side just behind the vanos. It's a valve...it might clunk but I don't know.

Look in the inlet for the valve and see if you see any obstruction. If so remove it.

Another thing I did was gun it after I stalled to keep it lit....and that probably blew things out some from the valve...maybe cleared it...maybe I just got lucky.

Anyway, look into that valve. I really don't know anything much about vanos...not sure what would clunk there. Use a hose to see if you can isolate the source of sound any better.

Oh, and since you did clean the icv and it helped...I'll go back again to my comment about cleaning it like a crazy person. That would probably clunk also if it was dirty and then released itself. I'm guessing...but trying to think of thinks that go clunk.

If this clunk is associated with you putting the car into 1st or reverse, then you have other clunking things in the rear...csb and rear diff bushing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also...I used a dental mirror to view the valve.. It looked fine. but it was hard to look in. so there might have been something in it. I'm about to start ripping that car apart. lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you cleaned the DISA and ICV and is still doing it, then It's 99% the vanos seals. I had the same problems you mentioned and did my vanos seals last year..
I haven't had any problems yet. knock on wood ;)
Can you elaborate on this a bit?

DISA?

ICV? Idle Controle Valve?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can you elaborate on this a bit?

DISA?

ICV? Idle Controle Valve?
DISA is a box/ valve on the side of your intake manifold... very hard to miss lol... The ICV is located on the bottom of the IM connected to the lower intake boot. To access the ICV you have to remove the whole intake hoses and take out the matel valve connected to the lower intake boot. There are plenty of DIY's for it. Hope this is what you wanted to know. Also be careful when you remove the DISA,if you do, I stripped one of the screws -_-.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thats what I wanted to know.

Thanks, what does it do? Our car leaks quite a bit of oil, so im assuming that the CCV is due for a change as well... Not looking forward to that haha

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well the DISA opens up at a certain time to let more air into the engine i think. The ICV well I'm going to guess it has something to do with the idle hahaha. I cleaned both of them and the MAF-Mass Airflow Sensor, located at the start of the first intake hose. As to the oil leaking.. That could be numerous things from gaskets well to the CCV. My car has quite a bit of problems at the moment ranging from the Thermostat being stuck open to my car stalling every single morning. Well I hope fixing this oil leak of yours doesn't put a hole in your pocket hahaha seems like thats all e46's are good for.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just had both my DISA and ICV out a couple hours ago. I'd been having the cold start idle surging, but once it warmed up, it was fine. Read plenty of DIY's for the ICV and had planned for quite a while to get in there and see if mine was as stucky as some of the others I've read about on here. Turns out, my ICV was completely fine, other than being a little bit dirty. I'm judging that it was fine by the fact that when I shook it in my hand back and forth, the little rotating part inside swung freely back and forth.

On the other hand, took out my DISA, and the little flapper had completely broken off at the axis of rotation where it connects to the black plastic box (closer to the driver's side)! :ben: That's a pretty expensive part to be made completely of plastic like that. Replacement radiators don't cost that much.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in and say it looks like the ICV bypasses the throttle body, and lets air in through the smaller little hose in the lower intake boot when the throttle butterflies are closed. While I got this all apart, I think I'm going to try to take off the TB and clean it really good. That shouldn't be too hard to get off, right?? :facepalm:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Better video

Well I took another video and this time the engine was cold but it was too warm outside for it to stall... There is however a loud pop/crack sound from engine.:eek: I wish I could have filmed from engine bay but no one was home to help. I will get a complete cold start video up but until then any help with the pop?

NOTE: video is 43 seconds but just watch till the pop and a little after that I guess.

NOTE 2: I won't have money to buy a code reader and Bentley manual till christmas so I know that would tell me alot but I am worried if you understand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rvL0uKPHrg

·
Registered
26,272 Posts
If you mean the pop in the first sec after you start the car, that sounds like a starter issue to me. That quick grinding sound.

I don't know what that means to you exactly. It sounds like something that should be disengaging is holding up a while longer. Since I haven't ripped apart a starter and am not a mechanic, I can just say that's what that little 1/2sec. blip of a grinding sound says to me.

Don't panic...might be something you can live with a long time, but IDK.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts