BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it not recommended to put a staggered setup on a Xi ?

Im looking into getting some 19x8.5 and 19x10 on my Xi. Or should I be looking for 19x8.5 all around ?

Should i not be running a staggered setup ? even tho the torque distribution on the Xi is still concentrated in the rear ? i believe its somewhere around 36/64 ?

·
Slow in, slower out
4,661 Posts
The fast guys at the track don't run staggered tires, even on their M3s. If you want to for the looks, you won't hurt anything.

Ed

·
Registered
459 Posts
In general, all 4WD should have same size tyres. Don't know how the Xi goes with its control systems and power ratios, but wider tyres have more grip and generate more friction I think, so maybe the control software may think there is wheel slippage with narrower at front. I just know our Navara 4WD has a smaller width spare tyre which they told us not to use 4wd if we had it fitted after a flat. I'd say ask a mechanic at your dealer to be safe.

·
BMW Land Barge
1,378 Posts
Staggered wheels are for cosmetics as a general matter. It's bad enough with RWD, it's terrible on AWD.

Anyway, if you're getting 19s, performance is clearly not an issue. Your car is going to drive like crap no matter what you do with the setup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts