BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've set aside some money to finally confront my very worn suspension on my 02 330Ci w/ Sport Package. I've decided I might as well go with coilovers and hence i've been doing a fair share of research that led to me deciding on ST Coilovers factoring in reviews, recommendations, and pricing.

I already have a fairly aggressive wheel/tire set up for a non-m e46 so I wanted to run this by to see if anyone has a similar or possibly even more aggressive setup coupled with coilovers.

My wheel/tire set up follows:
Front: 18x8.5 et35 wrapped in 245/35 tires
Rear: 18x9.5 et45 wrapped in 265/35 tires

My worry is more towards the width and offset of these vmr v710s with the ST coilovers.

ST Coilovers Estimated Lowering Range (via Suspension Source):
Front: 1.2"-2.8" / 30-70mm
Rear: 1.2"-2.0" / 30-50mm

A few additional factors I was considering with this is having the sports package already has my car sitting a tad lower. Also, I feel like the factory springs with 160k on them are more than likely sagging. I picked up the car with 115k and prior maintenance is unknown.

With the height adjustment options of the coilovers, I feel as if I should be fine. Worst case, I am mentally prepared for rolling fenders as needed.

Thoughts? Similar setups? Did you have to roll the fenders?

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
Your setup isn't really that aggressive, but I do see a front wheel spacer in your future with Any coilover setup.

The ST setup is a good one, I'm going to make another suggestion though.

This setup offers a Tremendous value for the price:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1082853

Rob43

·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
4,946 Posts
Your setup isn't really that aggressive, but I do see a front wheel spacer in your future with Any coilover setup.

The ST setup is a good one, I'm going to make another suggestion though.

This setup offers a Tremendous value for the price:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1082853

Rob43
Those are for an M3 unfortunately. The GC set-up is nice because you a) get Konis, and b) they use standard race springs, so for a very reasonable price you can get new spring sets if you want to try other rates or have one set for street and one for track.

·
Registered
8,016 Posts

·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
4,946 Posts
Cool. Didn't know that.

·
Registered
10,785 Posts
So I've set aside some money to finally confront my very worn suspension on my 02 330Ci w/ Sport Package. I've decided I might as well go with coilovers and hence i've been doing a fair share of research that led to me deciding on ST Coilovers factoring in reviews, recommendations, and pricing.

I already have a fairly aggressive wheel/tire set up for a non-m e46 so I wanted to run this by to see if anyone has a similar or possibly even more aggressive setup coupled with coilovers.

My wheel/tire set up follows:

My worry is more towards the width and offset of these vmr v710s with the ST coilovers.

ST Coilovers Estimated Lowering Range (via Suspension Source):
Front: 1.2"-2.8" / 30-70mm
Rear: 1.2"-2.0" / 30-50mm

A few additional factors I was considering with this is having the sports package already has my car sitting a tad lower. Also, I feel like the factory springs with 160k on them are more than likely sagging. I picked up the car with 115k and prior maintenance is unknown.

With the height adjustment options of the coilovers, I feel as if I should be fine. Worst case, I am mentally prepared for rolling fenders as needed.

Thoughts? Similar setups? Did you have to roll the fenders?
Hi Fo Show!

First off: the black V710s on your e46 look great! It's good to hear also that you are taking the next step in modifying by putting your car on a set of coilovers and lowering it.

I thought I'd chime in regarding wheel/tire fitment.

You're currently running:
In our testing we show that our ideal sizing is:
Front: 18x8.5 ET35 with 225-235/40/18
Rear: 18x9.5 ET45 with 255-265/35/18

Running these wheel/tire specs should clear a lowered E46. There is two very important things to consider as well though:

How much will you be lowering your vehicle?
What will your alignment specs look like ( camber )?

The alignment specs specifically can significantly alter fitment.

I hope this information is helpful to you and helps you dial in that perfect look. I can't wait to see pictures of the finished product!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts