E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Party Times!
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 model bmw so i can't use a clutch stop, cause if i had one i wouldn't be able to start my car :sad: . Having said this, will it still make a big difference to get a SSK (thinking uuc) without getting a clutch stop. Also will buying a new shift knob (heavier than stock i guess) make the ssk better or worse?

·
Just Marinatin'
2,503 Posts
I would say

the clutch stop is in no way connected to the performance of the ssk. Some say that a heavier shift knob is better. Maybe I just have no basis for comparison but I use the light acs knob and it functions fine.

·
Party Times!
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the only reason i mentioned the clutch stop, is because it makes shifts even better, less clutch movement as i am sure you are aware of.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I think you can mod your 2k2 so that you can use your clutch stop. I thought i saw a DIY here.

I am getting a clutch stop for my 03, so I will let you know if its possible.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just ordered and installed my clutch stop, I have a 02 325i and I was able to start the car without any problems

Actually even AFTER installing the clutch stop there's stilll a good 1-2 cm of empty clutch travel

hrm....

·
Just Marinatin'
2,503 Posts
Yeah

g2go1818 said:
the only reason i mentioned the clutch stop, is because it makes shifts even better, less clutch movement as i am sure you are aware of.
I know what you mean but all that does is bring the contact point to a more exact position so that you dont' have depress clutch as much making less travel. The ssk really just shortens the throw. Sure you might be able to shift faster with a clutch stop due to the decreased travel of the clutch but it is not going to affect the performance of the ssk what so ever.

·
Party Times!
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Really hmmm. When i try to start my car (just pushing the clutch like half way instead of all the way it won't start, so i just assumed that is what would happen if i had the clutch stop:dunno:

·
Registered
236 Posts
go to a home improvement store.. get a 40mm bolt its 59 cents.. screw it in that hole underneatch the clutch.. since its threaded.. you can adjust it accordingly... IM me @ e40sixfsu . if u have any other ?'s

·
Party Times!
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
E46FSU said:
go to a home improvement store.. get a 40mm bolt its 59 cents.. screw it in that hole underneatch the clutch.. since its threaded.. you can adjust it accordingly... IM me @ e40sixfsu . if u have any other ?'s
Nice, how big is the "bolt head"? like size of a quarter or ??

·
Registered
650 Posts
g2go1818,

You have to do some trial and error to dial in the exact height of your clutch stop. I carried around a wrench when I first installed mine. I finally got to the point where I had no problems starting the car. I still have a little clutch travle after the clutch engages/disengages but the clutch stop still takes out a lot of travel. It's a nice mod.

I also have the UUC SSK and a Rob Knob III (stainless).

I love the feel of my shifts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.