E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For your entertainment and education.
G'day all,
well the E46 Bimmer has an appetite for repairs I must say.
After yesterday fitting a new CCV complete and doing the O2 mod ( a simple vacuum line to the CCV from the rear of the inlet manifold ). I also fitted a new all aluminum pulley to the power steering pump because as we know how dependable BMW plastic pulleys are.
, I was doing a test run this morning when this most alarming chirp and rattle noise developed...

So before you see what the answer is , use your deductive skills to try and work out what is creating the noise.
To isolate the noise I first removed the A/C belt, but the noise remained. I then removed the main belt and the noise disappeared.. Hmm , I then took a closer look at the power steering pump and noticed that the shaft was moving in and out about a 1/8th of an inch.
I am guessing that either the shaft is broken or the vane holder has snapped.

PLEASE PLAY THE VIDEO
The noise was the back of the new pulley touching on the Power Steering pump as it turned. needless to say a new pump is now on order and will be fitted with new lines and a new P/S container.
The search for BMW perfection goes on....
Yours Aye, John.m

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
8,332 Posts
For your entertainment and education.
G'day all,
well the E46 Bimmer has an appetite for repairs I must say.
After yesterday fitting a new CCV complete and doing the O2 mod ( a simple vacuum line to the CCV from the rear of the inlet manifold ). I also fitted a new all aluminum pulley to the power steering pump because as we know how dependable BMW plastic pulleys are.
, I was doing a test run this morning when this most alarming chirp and rattle noise developed...

So before you see what the answer is , use your deductive skills to try and work out what is creating the noise.
To isolate the noise I first removed the A/C belt, but the noise remained. I then removed the main belt and the noise disappeared.. Hmm , I then took a closer look at the power steering pump and noticed that the shaft was moving in and out about a 1/8th of an inch.
I am guessing that either the shaft is broken or the vane holder has snapped.

PLEASE PLAY THE VIDEO
The noise was the back of the new pulley touching on the Power Steering pump as it turned. needless to say a new pump is now on order and will be fitted with new lines and a new P/S container.
The search for BMW perfection goes on....
Yours Aye, John.m

I would FIRST establish if the mounting depth of pulley #2 was different than #1?
That sort of shaft movement is somewhat...normal.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Mr MCar,
Don, I removed the new power steering pulley and measured it against the old pulley.
Laying the pulley flat on the bench. From the mounting face to level with the top of the pulley is 13mm on both.
Also the shaft does not pull out, like I believe a broken shaft would.
So that leaves me to surmise something on the inside of the pump is causing the chirp and squeal.
I suppose there is nothing for it, but to remove the pump and have a look on the inside.
Will keep you posted.
Do you have any other thoughts?
Cheers.

·
Premium Member
2002 BMW 540Ti, 2004 BMW 330i ZHP, 2001 325Ci
221 Posts
just went thru a similar problem, new idler pulley and it locked up on tightening had spring tensioner that moved out 1/8"(original problem was noise from tensioner), I had a spare piston style tensioner used on the shelf and it worked, no conflicts. close look an old spring tensioner had expanded internally

·
Premium Member
2002 BMW 540Ti, 2004 BMW 330i ZHP, 2001 325Ci
221 Posts
just went thru a similar problem, new idler pulley and it locked up on tightening had spring tensioner that moved out 1/8"(original problem was noise from tensioner), I had a spare piston style tensioner used on the shelf and it worked, no conflicts. close look an old spring tensioner had expanded internally
[/QUOT
To explain as it happen, noise persisted after new idler pulleys in area of alternator, removed tensioner (spring type) and installed salvage spring style, after tightening alternator idler pulley it bound up, removed tensioner spring type an it had blown out 1/8" causing the binding pulley, installed used shock/piston style an all good, bottom line tensioners fail an spring type can stump you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts