E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
i have a 2001 320i. A couple weeks ago i noticed squeeking from the rear driver side wheel. It would only squeek when i drive the car for a while and only when i'm driving slow, and it was not happening all the time. I took it to the dealer last week, and they said it's the parking brake expanders that are partially seized. They tried to charge me for the replacement saying that it's not covered by warranty since is a wear and tear issue. After arguing with them for a while i pointed out to the BMW warranty that said that parking brake assembly is covered by warranty, so they did treplace it under warranty (what crooks). Anyway, yesterday while i was driving the squeek was back. Not as loud as before but it was there again. After i drive the car for more than 30 min, every second or third time i stop, the rear wheel would squeek till i reach 15-20 km/h. Any suggestions what could it be? I also realised that i have much more breaking dust on my rear wheels (especially the squeeky one) than the fronts. I'm a bit paranoid because of all the posts about subrfame failure, but this noise sounds like it's comming from something that is rotating. Any ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
Is your suspension stock? The only thing i would think that is squeeking like that would be the sway bars. The stock ones may squeek too. Try using some lithium grease on the bushing and other contact points.

Hope this helps

mystique333 said:
Hi guys,
i have a 2001 320i. A couple weeks ago i noticed squeeking from the rear driver side wheel. It would only squeek when i drive the car for a while and only when i'm driving slow, and it was not happening all the time. I took it to the dealer last week, and they said it's the parking brake expanders that are partially seized. They tried to charge me for the replacement saying that it's not covered by warranty since is a wear and tear issue. After arguing with them for a while i pointed out to the BMW warranty that said that parking brake assembly is covered by warranty, so they did treplace it under warranty (what crooks). Anyway, yesterday while i was driving the squeek was back. Not as loud as before but it was there again. After i drive the car for more than 30 min, every second or third time i stop, the rear wheel would squeek till i reach 15-20 km/h. Any suggestions what could it be? I also realised that i have much more breaking dust on my rear wheels (especially the squeeky one) than the fronts. I'm a bit paranoid because of all the posts about subrfame failure, but this noise sounds like it's comming from something that is rotating. Any ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yafool said:
Is your suspension stock? The only thing i would think that is squeeking like that would be the sway bars. The stock ones may squeek too. Try using some lithium grease on the bushing and other contact points.

Hope this helps

Yes the whole car is stock. All parts are OE.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
See if you can hear the noise better with the back seats folded down. Have someone else drive the car if you have to and climb back there to listen. I have a feeling that it is the sway bar bushings. They may just need a little grease. You can try getting a bottle from kragens or autozone and spraying it on yourself. Just use it generiously on the two rubber mounts that are holding onto the sway bars. Hope this helps!

mystique333 said:
Yes the whole car is stock. All parts are OE.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
Also, if they are saying that it is not covered under warranty, they are BSing. Brakes and rotors are fully covered for the first 50k. I know because ive already had them change out two full set, front and rear, and im only at 36k. I drive hard, what can you say. They can say anything. If you are having trouble with them, try going to a different dealership. You can also use the threat method. Every service transaction recorded by bmw will be followed up on by bmwnorthamerica. I am sure you have recieved their calls before. Just say that you will not give them a 10 on their service. they will do it! heehee



:thumbup:
yafool said:
See if you can hear the noise better with the back seats folded down. Have someone else drive the car if you have to and climb back there to listen. I have a feeling that it is the sway bar bushings. They may just need a little grease. You can try getting a bottle from kragens or autozone and spraying it on yourself. Just use it generiously on the two rubber mounts that are holding onto the sway bars. Hope this helps!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks i'll try that. I can't check the seat thing because my seats do not fold down but i'll try the grease thing. About the warranty, i was told that the pads and rotors are covered under the maintenance warranty, and that's only the first 3 years and only to the first original owner. After that for the last 4th year of your warranty, all other Brakes components are covered except pads and rotors.
 

·
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
Joined
·
4,424 Posts
have you curbed that rear wheel at all? or any wheel that was on that axle? if so, you could have cause a wheel bearing to go bad which would make the wheel squeak. just another thing to check out i guess
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dalton said:
have you curbed that rear wheel at all? or any wheel that was on that axle? if so, you could have cause a wheel bearing to go bad which would make the wheel squeak. just another thing to check out i guess

No i did not curb it, but i bought the car used so it might had ben curbed before. Thanks i'll keep it in mind. Wouldn't a damaged bearing make noise on higher speeds?
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top