BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys.
I have seen some discussions on squeaking sound but mine seems different. I have changed pulleys, tensioner, and belts, the sound is still there. I have once removed all belts so the engine would run without compressor, steering power, or water pump, the sound is still there. When you run the car it takes about 10 minutes before the sound comes but it disappears when driving at higher rpms. Any ideas

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
1,956 Posts
When the car is making the noise; If you remove the oil fill cap, does the noise stop?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When the car is making the noise; If you remove the oil fill cap, does the noise stop?
Never tried that, possible to open the cap while the engine is running? If so will do and post the results asap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes yes, tried to open the oil cap, the noise stops with little engine shake sort of misfire I guess. A vacuum sort of air is coming out when opening the cap. I guess its compression.
What is the possible diagnosis.?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
My guess is that your CCV system is creating higher than normal vacuum. Often when this happens, a large amount of vacuum is sucking in air past (usually) the front or rear crankshaft seals. Hence the whistle.
Last 7 of your vin and specific engine model so I can provide a vacuum value.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never tried that, possible to open the cap while the engine is running? If so will do and post the results asap.
My guess is that your CCV system is creating higher than normal vacuum. Often when this happens, a large amount of vacuum is sucking in air past (usually) the front or rear crankshaft seals. Hence the whistle.
Last 7 of your vin and specific engine model so I can provide a vacuum value.
Thanks.
The Vin is FH65461 and engine is m43 I guess.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Very nice (not) of BMW to leave out the M43 engine from the bulletin since that's not a North American engine. Should be the same as M42/44 I suspect.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very nice (not) of BMW to leave out the M43 engine from the bulletin since that's not a North American engine. Should be the same as M42/44 I suspect.
I see, what do you think can be "easily" done to solve the issue?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Did you measure the crankcase pressure with the engine fully warm?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you measure the crankcase pressure with the engine fully warm?
No, but I trust ur diagnosis. It has to do with extra vacuum. I have shaped a piece of wood that opens the oil cap a little, increase throttle a little and the sound has disappeared

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, but I trust ur diagnosis. It has to do with extra vacuum. I have shaped a piece of wood that opens the oil cap a little, increase throttle a little and the sound has disappeared
Something tells me I can drill a small hole on the cap and pipe out the extra vacuum. Could it work as a permanent solution?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I think it needs repairing. Any "false air" entering the engine can cause issues.
I am completely unfamiliar with that engine and am bereft of knowledge of any CCV system. I suspect it could (???) be part # 8 in the below diagram. Again it's only a guess on my part having no experience with that engine. You need to find out why the engine vacuum is too high. (Is it? better measure first.)

From the bulletin:

Causes of Excessive Overpressure (Pressure)

Internal engine damage/wear

Obstruction in the crankcase ventilation system

Defective pressure control valve(s)

Results of Excessive Overpressure

Damage to the engine oil seals

Increased engine oil consumption (can be misdiagnosed as a defective turbocharger)

Excessive engine oil in the intake system

Excessive engine oil in the charged intake tubes or the intercooler on turbocharged engines (can be misdiagnosed as a defective turbocharger)

Engine oil dip stick is dislodged from the guide tube (if equipped)

Cause of Excessive Under-pressure (Vacuum)

Defective pressure control valve

Results of Excessive Under-pressure

Increased engine oil consumption

Rough engine idling or engine misfire

Whistling or howling noise from the engine (can be misdiagnosed as a defective turbocharger)

Increased mixture adaptation values

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think it needs repairing. Any "false air" entering the engine can cause issues.
I am completely unfamiliar with that engine and am bereft of knowledge of any CCV system. I suspect it could (???) be part # 8 in the below diagram. Again it's only a guess on my part having no experience with that engine. You need to find out why the engine vacuum is too high. (Is it? better measure first.)

From the bulletin:

Causes of Excessive Overpressure (Pressure)

Internal engine damage/wear

Obstruction in the crankcase ventilation system

Defective pressure control valve(s)

Results of Excessive Overpressure

Increased engine oil consumption (can be misdiagnosed as a defective turbocharger)

Excessive engine oil in the charged intake tubes or the intercooler on turbocharged engines (can be misdiagnosed as a defective turbocharger)

Engine oil dip stick is dislodged from the guide tube (if equipped)

Cause of Excessive Under-pressure (Vacuum)

Defective pressure control valve

Results of Excessive Under-pressure

Increased engine oil consumption

Rough engine idling or engine misfire

Whistling or howling noise from the engine (can be misdiagnosed as a defective turbocharger)

Increased mixture adaptation values
I appreciate a lot.
Now I remember, the sound came when I changed the oil seal. Could be that or anything else, no idea. Will have to measure pressure value at optimum engine temp and see.
Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts